Insurance claim - urgent advice please

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by bwklau, 27th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bwklau

bwklau Member

Hi All,

Due to tenants running away (with rent arrears), and leaving a lot of damage throughout the house, I have authorised my property manager to submit a claim to my insurance provider (EBM).

I have since called the claims manager, and he advised that he has been trying to ask my agent for more details since the start of June - he cc'd me into the correspondence, but the agent has not been responsive.

The case will be closed by 29/06 if there is no response. I have tried to call and email both the senior PM who submitted the claim, and the principal over the last few weeks - but to no avail!

The PM has most of the information that EBM needs (and has not provided me with these either despite repeated request). Should I make contact with EBM to ask them to keep the claim open, or would the PM's incompetence come into question during the claims assessment....

I am worried as the claim is relatively big. (Around $25-30k out of pocket so far, not including rent - tenants arrears from Dec 2017 onwards, and eviction early Feb 2018).

I am also looking into lodging a complaint with QLD Fair Trading based on the ongoing incompetence. If anyone has any advice on that, it would also be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Might be time to have a talk with a Solicitor,there are some very good ones that are Brisbane based within this site that would deal with problems like this every day..

3. bwklau

bwklau Member

Thanks @willair , I'll pm you for a solicitor recommendation if it is preferable to posting details on the forum

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Can you respond to the insurers request for further info?

5. bwklau

bwklau Member

Hi @Terry_w ,

I only have information/ photos of some of the items. We have not been given the ledger/ exit condition report, etc. items that EBM asked for.

There are also multiple things that we have received invoices for (ie: cleaning for $32xx, new security screens for $18xx, etc), which we were never quoted, or notified on - but done! In our Form 6/ engagement of the PM, it was noted that the maximum value of repairs and maintenance to be paid by the agent without prior approval is at max. 2 weeks rent (approx $800).

We also found that items and repairs on site was not as invoiced, etc - which the PM has already approved the payment of.

It is unclear what the bond has been spent on, etc.....

The PM in question is on this forum - but was highly recommended prior.

Given we are in NSW, it has been a nightmare dealing with this...

6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just do a search under "RPI"--IMHO..

bwklau likes this.
  7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would definitely be calling the insurer to ask that the case be kept open, that you have tried to get the PM to provide information.

Don't let the 29th go past without at the very minimum contacting the insurer.

Tranquilo and bwklau like this.
  8. bwklau

bwklau Member

Thanks for the reassurance - I did make contact with EBM (it seems the claims manager is generous in saying that the agent may just be busy with EOFY and to give it a few days...)

@+men @tomlemke @Junkums @Tranquilo @TMNT wondering if any of you deal with the issues with this agent using QLD Fair Trading/ other litigation methods and what was the outcome?

9. SarahD

SarahD Well-Known Member

To be fair, EOFY is a really busy and stressful time, generally for the person doing accounts more so than the property managers, it depends on the set up of the business. Some companies have a PM doing the accounts as well.

The fact that neither the principal or the property manager has responded to your repeated requests for information is an issue. Even a quick email to acknowledge what you are after and stating it will be sent through shortly.

I would send the PM and principal an email stating that should the following not be completed by COB on 6/7/18 you will be proceeding with a complaint against the agency. List what you need i.e - explanation on unapproved expenses, details for the insurance claim, a response to repeated emails, information submitted to EBM as requested by them and yourself. This shows that you aren't overly happy with the situation but, if the PM is really busy for end of financial year it makes some allowance for this.

I often see this happen when a PM is on leave, has left or is unwell, other people step in and do the bare minimum of work on the portfolio and don't respond to owners thinking 'oh that will wait until they are back', are you sure your PM isn't on holiday?

Tom Rivera and bwklau like this.
  10. tomlemke

tomlemke Well-Known Member Business Member

If it's Lu i would be trying your luck with another agency.
    Give Hayden Gay a call from Image Property 0422 140 356

bwklau likes this.
  11. Tranquilo

Tranquilo Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear your having so much trouble. My claim was with EBM was very easy as I had a PM who was competent and handled everything. Your claim is big and like willair said time for a solicitor I think.

And also maybe you can have a chat to the EBM guy here on the forum

bwklau likes this.
  12. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Ray White Marsden and bwklau like this.
  13. brettc

brettc Well-Known Member

I have sent you a private message @bwklau

bwklau, Tranquilo and Phantom like this.
  14. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I'm usually cynical about insurance companies.
    Out of all I've dealt with ebm have been the best.

Alabeit I don't agree with all of their decisions but the process was very good. And hence I've stayed with them.

The assessor I had allocated for my 3 claims was useless and incompetent though Couldn't believe I had the same ones for claims in different states

Ebm is good!

bwklau and brettc like this.
  15. Bertone

Bertone Member

I would be surprised if there was any applicable insurance time limit, at least for the material damage part of the claim. (obviously the loss of rental income is time critical). Hope this works out for you. I am a Loss Adjuster/assessor. Its frustrating trying to gather information from someone who is either deliberately uncooperative or simply gone walkabout.

bwklau likes this.
  16. bwklau

bwklau Member

Thanks all - there has been progress since the start of July, with the mention of possible causes for litigation to the PM in question.

This is not my nature, but I am glad it did give them a spur on.

Will update how it pans out if it is of interest to anyone here. @brettc thanks for the quick contact - I do have a few questions now that I am trying to handle the claim, so will be in touch very soon.

Ray White Marsden and Tranquilo like this.
  17. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Sure hope the PM wasn't also the tenant that did a runner!

18. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Just a note that PM HQ has sold their Logan portfolio- might explain the disruption?

Ray White Marsden likes this.
  19. SarahD

SarahD Well-Known Member

I know someone this did happen to!

I hope the claim has gone through smoothly now :)