Insurance claim and this new rumoured grant

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by MondeoMan, 2nd Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MondeoMan

MondeoMan Well-Known Member

My property has suffered a large amount of damage in a storm. Going to need a new roof repairs to pergola new fencing and possible a knock down rebuild of a garage attached to my house.

Never claimed on insurance before been told I would get choice of cash payment or insurance to fix. Was going for insurance to fix but wondering if I might be able to go cash settlement and then claim this rumoured 25000 dollar grant for the work because it is going to be pretty extensive.

Of course we don't know details yet but if I could swing it anyone know if it be worth it to cash settle or is the stress and hassle and I guess risk of works going over budget or more problems being found mean it's not worth the risk and best to let insurance deal with it.

2. 24675

24675 Member

Hi MondeoMan,

Usually insurance companies will try to get the lowest price possible quotation for their works (they have designated trades that work for cheap) to complete the work. This info might help you decide.

thanks
    Nick

MondeoMan likes this.
  3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

You might not be eligible for the grant. Or your works might not be of high enough value.

4. MondeoMan

MondeoMan Well-Known Member

Have to see what the detail is. I think it could be high enough value a new roof and a new garage (attached to house) I reckon is going to cost as much as an extension. Previous poster has put some doubt in my mind. I had been told by some others that insurance companies are usually over quoted and you could normally get your own trades to do for less.