Insurance broker or who else?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Fabs90, 21st Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Fabs90

Fabs90 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

My investment property was burnt down by the tenant last November.
    The police was involved and tenant was charged.
    The insurance accepted the claim at the beginning of December. By the end of December, insurance said that the house will be demolished and I will be contacted in January to organise payout and that I need to contact my bank in order to organise this.

By the end of January, the insurance said that that this timeframe was not correct and that it will take 1 extra month or more for them to be able to make an offer. Insurance also said that they are getting quotes for the rebuilt and it is not clear if they will offer a payout or to rebuilt.. Insurance cannot tell me now if the amount I insured will cover the claim as they are still getting quotes.

It's been now 3.5 months since the fire.

I made many complains to the loss assessor and to the insurance directly (the person who is dealing with my claim). But I didn't escalate it yet.

Questions:
    1) Is all this normal or acceptable?

2) Do I need to contact some one to represent me or not? If yes who is that person?

Data:
    * 3 bed + 1 bath brick veneer
    * 120m2 total area + small entry verandah
    * Built in 1963
    * Renovated and was in good condition
    * Insured for $295,000 + 30,000 for debris/professional fees, etc
    * Fire 1st week of November 2020

All genuine advice is welcome.
    Thanks

Last edited: 21st Feb, 2021
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Contact the insurance ombudsman if you believe that you are being treated unfairly.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia