Insurance after PCI handover (& other minor q's)

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by SaberX, 28th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SaberX

SaberX Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Building new. Having PCI meeting tomorrow and handover thereafter once issues are rectified within the builder's timeframes. Assuming 10-15 days from memory. So say by early Oct I'll have keys?

From what I am aware of - major things to organize after handover include:

Insurance (told builder's coverage ceases once you get keys?)
    Lighting - doing main areas outside of builder
    Fencing - assuming all neighbors have installed already, so I don't have to worry
    Window treatments - doing outside of builder. Not sure to DIY or not.
    Security door or alarms

Anything I'm missing?

Insurance wise: what do most use, have heard about, and recommend?

Occupying it until I decide what to do with employment and perhaps moving city, so renting is a likely possibility in the near future (at least 6-12 months+ away as I have to satisfy my FHOG requirements) . So eventually I will need landlords insurance - recommendations there too?

I assume LLI won't be needed until closer to rental and that all I need is building insurance and possibly contents? As I'm assuming building is structural only would one typically recommend getting contents to cover standard home inclusions i.e. stove, oven, if these are ever pilfered if broken into? Or does building insurance suffice?

Recommendations please? Price is a factor, but I would like to cover the minimum basics - nothing over the top or fancy, but likewise not looking to go cheap at the expense of leaving myself exposed should the unthinkable occur (so not looking to skimp on corners or go over the top). Definitely looking for a provider with a good history of being reasonable in approving/paying claims and not those that try anything to draw blood from stone to avoid paying or wiggle out or slug you with hidden fineprint /technicalities.

I read elsewhere something about getting building insurance to the value of your building contract cost + e.g. a 20% markup to cover 'extra' costs above your building contract that would be incurred over time as part of the building i.e. when I eventually install air conditioning, lighting , security alarms or door?

House is Perth, WA based. So thereby assuming no need for fine print optional inclusions like flooding? But is there any extras or things I need to be aware of e,g. for bushfire, other 'damage' (storm?? hail?) that typically isn't a standard, and a fair trap for new players to not check to include?

Lighting/Air conditioning - who would you have go in first? I'm assuming lighting, as the vents/ducts will be harder for the electrician to access the roof space once installed otherwise. Are they responsible to remove and re-install ceiling insulation properly given the builder's job is done and dusted by this stage?

Window treatments - I am still tossing up DIY painting to save money. But ideally does one recommend painting prior to installing window treatments? Or in reverse to allow for patching and re-rilling mistakes while the window ledge/lintels remain unpainted? First time handyman hat attempting the job but I have heard it's pretty simple and not rocket science to drill and install the brackets needed to hang venetians and the railing/system for vertical blinds. Should suit also if it becomes a rental in terms of economic replacement by going with these treatment choices? The only issue is I have been told painting is recommended to be done a few months after handover to let the house settle and minimize cracking. Which leaves the issues of having no window treatments up security wise to prying outside eyes, unless installing then painting?

If anyone has recommendations of what they use for temporarily covering windows until window treatments are installed I'd love to hear it? Security is more my concern as whilst not fussed when it's the builder's insurance/responsibility, after hand-over my brother was on the receiving end of someone hunting for new build parts/items to pilfer and had superficially damaged flyscreen and entered through a garage door requiring money out of pocket to fix despite nothing being taken inside (empty/not yet moved in) . Just a headache/cost i want to avoid.

Thought about the old sticking newspapers onto the window, but assume this sticks out like a sore thumb target wise? Alternatively I have seen more proper/durable looking blue sheets/plastic things on new homes - are these something commonly found in say bunnings? And how do they just tape them down to secure them onto the windows??

Security - is it true rentals require a fitted security door/grill? Otherwise am tossing up installing this or an alarm system for peace of mind while at work or at night (until the new estate is more full/occupied) to get a phone call if it's triggered. This might also be an alternative to not having window treatments in straight after handover (if waiting for painting to go in first before window treatments)

Appreciate any thoughts on anyone who's gone through the above process and had some bright ideas /solutions. Any thoughts or plain old advice is appreciated. I'm sure there are post-handover or preparation items I haven't even thought of or remembered.

Edit: on a PCI/handover note, we uncovered whilst doing the building inspection (inspector plus myself on site) that the fridge recess nib walls are noticeably out of line. It is so clear with the tiles that they aren't straight/in line that it annoys the heck out of me. It is definitely out of tolerance levels, but is there much point at this stage as what are the chances builders are going to knock down the fridge recess and reinstall, complete with the o/h cupboards, regrouting and tiling of the kitchen splashback etc? I'm assuming nil? Still very annoyed as if it was carpeted it wouldn't be noticeable, but very wonky!

Ta,
    Saber

Last edited: 28th Sep, 2016