Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Barneymaroon

Barneymaroon Well-Known Member

Hi all, I am trying to see if I can change banks. One thing stopping me is that my offset account needs to be on the same platform as my share trading account so I don't have a 24 hour (or longer) wait to make a trade as money is hand delivered between the banks.

If you have a 100K account (say), do any brokers let you buy a $20K trade before the money arrives?

I have a small margin loan at Bell Direct, but it's a pain to extract money from it when it is in credit.

Any other ideas?

Can OSKO be set up for $20k amounts?

Thanks

2. Barneymaroon

Barneymaroon Well-Known Member

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I use CommSec plus SelfWealth. CommSec is for the reasons you mentioned, but SelfWealth when I'm not in a hurry and I don't want to pay a lot on brokerage - $66 vs $9.50 for a larger trade a while back. Being an SMSF, I have cash on hand if needed just to cover a few days liquidity.

LeeM likes this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I have similar issues as the op - have basically given up :oops:

It's too difficult (and risky too if allowed) to open up interbank transfers with the amounts I need.

The Y-man

Barneymaroon likes this.
  5. LeeM

LeeM Well-Known Member

Do you think orders made in cheap/online only brokers, ie. Selfwealth get Executed LATER than those made in full brokers like Commsec? Do they get Executed faster/slower by ASX?

6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

The speed at which they get executed depends on the price you set. If I set a low sell price, they go very quickly. They get out into the market quickly; once there, they are no different from orders from any other source.

I have some shares bought through CommSec; I use CommSec to ensure accurate and up to date information. Not that selfwealth is inaccurate - having two sources provides a backup.

LeeM likes this.
  7. LeeM

LeeM Well-Known Member

Thanks @geoffw. I asked because I saw this article:
    Understanding Order Execution

"A broker can attempt to fill your order in several ways. As you will see, your broker has different motives for directing orders to specific places. Obviously, they may be more inclined to internalize an order to profit on the spread or send an order to a regional exchange or willing third market maker and receive payment for order flow. The choice the broker makes can affect your bottom line. However, as we explore below, we will see some of the safeguards in place to limit any unscrupulous broker activity when executing trades."

8. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

I would say that might hold a slight relevance to someone moving millions of dollars through the US markets, but not a retail trader in Australia.

I use CMC but have a Commsec account too. I can see the cmc order being filled right away on my commsec tab if that is open too.

LeeM likes this.