Installing LED downlights

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Harry30, 20th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

Received a quote from a sparky today to replace 39 downlights in my house (all bedrooms and living areas have them). Current downlights have the old style globes so looking to replace with the new energy efficient LED ones. So, job involves removing the fitting and replacing with the new ‘unit’ (cavity in the gyprock ceiling is standard size so it should be a straight replacement). House is in metro Melbourne which is reasonably close to the sparky (limited travelling time for him).

He quoted $50 per downlight + $69 service fee.

I looked up the downlights he recommended on a couple of sites and they can be purchased for about $15 each (so, he is charging ~$35 per downlight).

So, total labour is about $1,400.

Is this fair value?

2. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Maybe... Are the existing lights Halogens with in roof transformers? If so, the new ones will require them to be removed along with the existing fittings....

3. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

89D75730-3874-4E66-B4CD-39BEA13C3F4A.jpeg
    Attached is a picture of one I pulled down from the roof cavity.

I assume the black attachment is the transformer.

I suspect they were all installed about 10 years ago.

4. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

You should get a 2nd quote. If they are just straight change outs like that, they don't take very long to do so the hourly rate you'd end paying would be rather high if the labour component is indeed $35 per fitting.

Harry30 likes this.
  5. jared7825

jared7825 Well-Known Member

Depending on the brand/size etc of downlight his price could be even cheaper. I think that the total price is excessive for what’s involved here

I just had an IP changed over to all new LED and had plug ends installed on the ceiling wiring so the LEDs just plug in using a normal socket, 16 lights took about 2 hours, was plenty of length on the ceiling wiring makes life easy

6. James90

James90 Well-Known Member

Fairly standard pricing. Electrician will probably install a plug base on the cable, they are about 4$ea depending on brand, so that's another $150 on the materials side of things.

If you want it cheaper tell him you will supply the lights and you will dispose of the old fittings.

significance and Harry30 like this.
  7. jared7825

Plug base in bulk are $40 for packs of 25.

Let’s say it’s an 8 hour job, including travel and materials purchase, which is very generous for that volume of downlight change outs minus material costs that’s about $170/hour.

Harry30 likes this.
  8. Kent Cliffe

Kent Cliffe Well-Known Member Premium Member

Supply the materials and ask a few sole trader sparkies for a day rate. The other option is setting up an account with a labour-hire firm and get a 1x day casual labour rate for an electrician. The charge rate is about $50-$60+ an hour (4-hour min).

Harry30 likes this.
  9. Coconutwheels

Coconutwheels Well-Known Member

Isn't there some sort of Vic gov rebate for changing over your old halogen down lights to LED? Or has it finished now?

10. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Are they the same diameter? If not, it's a reasonable price! If they are, then yes, get a sparky on an hourly rate to do it for you and free issue the lights.

significance likes this.
  11. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

In NSW there is currently a grant scheme available. A number of companies are charging a $30 fee to convert an entire house LEDs (and the company gets the gov rebate).

So even accounting for a change of downlight size, there should be a significant saving to be had.

A quick google suggests this is the Vic scheme:
    Lighting

Cheers,
    Inertia.

significance likes this.
  12. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

This is bang on , totally fair price. It will be done properly and your lights will come with a 5 to 7 year warranty.

But your obvs fishing to pay the bare minimum price so get on air tasker find a DIYer and youll be back here next week asking how to take him to fair trading because they have stopped working

Sheshop likes this.
  13. lightbulbmoment

Really bad advice.
    1. Sparky will not put a warranty on your lights and materials as you have supplied them.
    2. You will get charged alot more then For Labour hire.
    Much better off supporting a local friendly electrician who has a family rather then a big Labour hire corporation.

14. lightbulbmoment

And that's ho
    Working out a business owners hourly rate is very typical for someone on wages. Your paying for alot more then purely just an exchange of Labour for 1 hour.

James90 likes this.
  15. lightbulbmoment

What's the real estates hourly rate when his receives his commission for his latest 2mill sydney sale??

James90 likes this.
  16. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It might or might not be a fair price. When you break it down as you have it "seems" excessive but when you factor in that he has presumably already done travel time to the establishment, inspection, quote time, insurance/overheads, picking up the new supplies, going to site, doing the work in a professional warranted way with appropriate insurances it may well only make him a reasonable amount of money.

James90 and lightbulbmoment like this.
  17. jared7825

I don't work for wages and I also own and operate a business for many years. You can roll business operating and administrative costs into an average hourly figure and then there is the actual labor component. Any decent business owner would know these costs and what they need to see per hour based on their workloads

For a direct change over of downlights the price quoted is excessive in my opinion and experience and also some others feel the same way.

This is Irrelevant to Electrical work, why not compare the hourly rate to a Bank CEO while we are at it? lets be realistic and compare apples to apples.

18. lightbulbmoment

Price isn't excessive at all. Spot on.
    Will defo find cheaper though but remember the poor man pays twice.

19. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Post the job on Hipages. I find the guys who respond are hungry for work and quote much more competitively

20. lightbulbmoment

The absolute worst of apps. 3 guys have to pay for a lead and the customer dictates the price. Pray to God it doesn't last