Installing ducted A/C

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by balwoges, 28th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Another sleepless night and I feel like hell ... :eek: so I am going to have ducted a/c installed. The upstairs of my house contains kitchen, family room, dining, lounge and 3 bedrooms. The house faces N/W with a lot of glass in the front. There is a wide covered verandah running the length of the house which is tiled and radiates heat into the front rooms, ATM I have an 12yr old a/c unit which keeps the lounge area cool but will need replacing before long.

Am in the process of requesting a quote, any advice on what I should ask and expect?

Last edited: 28th Jan, 2020
  2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

None expert..Maybe just ask the question if you can run back to back split system's cost wise they would be less costly and once their gased up very little maintenance only filters imho....

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

There are a variety of systems available. It can be more zone efficient to run ducted splits with a multi head unit if you use certain areas of the home and can "zone" effectively. They become cost inefficient at a point and full ducting can be better but may take up some space in each upstairs room as the downstairs needs ducting through the upstairs rooms. You could lose 250mm of wardrobe space in bedrooms as a example. Many basic ducted systems may be just upstairs and downstairs with a single return air and simple thermostat at the top of the stairs.

Any AC installer who is well established in the trade will explain the options and costs. They will assess the size etc needed. They know they need to explain the cost trade off v's efficient and adequate.

Get a few quotes.You will find pricing now is high. In June-August its cheaper. Your ceiling space is 70 degrees !!

You may find that window tint may help the front glass.

balwoges and willair like this.
  4. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

You want to be requesting quotes in May for jun/ July install.

moridog, balwoges and willair like this.
  5. balwoges

Thanks for the tip re timing of installation, makes sense and there are only a few weeks left of Summer so will wait until later this year.
    Rooms downstairs are serviced by split system a/c so its only upstairs I will need to install the new system... :D
    Thanks again for the input

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'd too suggest a multi-head split system (or two) that is one or two compressors which can then run 2 or 3 fan coils in the various rooms. This will provide the utmost flexibility as you can turn on one or more of the bedrooms or only the lounge/kitchen etc depending upon how you use the house.

7. balwoges

Think I will need 2 areas, one lounge/dining room, then one for each of the 3 bedrooms, the bedrooms are like ovens even though there are fans in each room ... thanks for the input

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

That's pretty much how we broke it up, fans on 100% just for air circulation ac to supplement.

9. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

As a temporary solution to cool down the tiles, sprinkle a light layer of water, this will cool down the house and the verandah.
    I do this when it is 'too hot' at the front of a west facing terrace house.
    I hope this helps

10. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

As stated above - splits will be cheaper to run. Single splits are probably more advantageous at the cost of multiple physical external units.

However, ducted should be quieter and more comfortable. Allows air to circulate through the house. Has the option to add an external air intake to bring cool outside air in overnight. Ducted also allows you to have rated filtration for smoke (PM2.5 etc) - worked brilliantly during the recent air quality issues.

I have both ducted and a wall mounted split as ducted was not possible in one room. I much prefer the ducted but I know it costs more to run.

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Could you use blinds along the verandah to lessen the heat load on the tiles and stop the radiating effect?

12. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

If you can, keep the existing 12 yo unit for the lounge and have electrician wire it into an off-peak tariff. For example, in Qld with tarriff 33 you still get about 21 hours of service per day. But at cheaper rate. Even better effective rate saving during daylight hours if you have as PV feedin on you primary tarrif.

13. balwoges

Thanks for the suggestion, however we are on Level 2 Water Restrictions, need a hose to water the verandah and that's not allowed at the moment ... :eek:

14. balwoges

The upstairs/down stairs verandahs are fitted with ceiling to floor blinds which shade but dont keep the heat out ... thanks

15. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

I don’t know anything about compressors and stuff, I got it installed in my granny flat, 70 sqm , from memory it was 7and a half K and it is wonderful. Being in Perth my real motivation was using it to cool,t but I was surprised at how often I use it to heat, it is super efficient and I would like it installed in the big house too!

16. balwoges

That's good to know :) am looking forward to having it next Summer!