Installing downlights

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by robbie_p, 23rd Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

The more i think about it, the more i am leaning towards something that is practical and energy efficient.

I guess the problem withdownlights is that they are a bit limiting in terms of the area they light up, therefore more are required, which is why i might look at other options.

As im still in early stages, i might looks at other options.

Any other suggestions besides downlights?

2. Hanison

Hanison Well-Known Member

For aesthetics - 13watt recessed led down lights with 120 degree beam spread and pendant lights above island or servery benches in arrangements of 3 or 5

For budget - 1 x Large surface mount circular fluro 40w or similar surface mount LED 30w or more - 1 of these will provide enough light for entire kitchen

Don't install anything halogen. They don't last, they are expensive to maintain, they cost more to run, they are a fire hazard.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You may be surprise how much light an LED with diffuser throws off. We have four in our kitchen. It is very bright.

4. Francesco

Francesco Well-Known Member

I have been converting my halogen downlights to LED downlights. Some of the things I learnt are:

1) in Canberra, the government is imposing a sort of program on the utility company to achieve a more green energy consumption target. Consequently, the utility company will replace your halogen downlights (minimum 5) with LED bulbs free. It may pay to check with your utility whether there is a similar freebie available in your state.

2) LED lamps come with options in 3 light colours depending on operational temperature. White light is suitable for the kitchen, garage and bathroom. Daylight and more often warm light are appropriate for the other rooms.

3) the mainstay of downlight should require a 90 mm ceiling cut-out to allow plug and hand to access easily. Choose pluggable to minimise cost of future replacements and to allow for variability of life of LED bulb.

4) Choose integrated LED downlight, ie bulb and driver are built into the lamp and ensure that the height of the lamp is suitable for the ceiling enclosed space. Otherwise, it would be time consuming to check which of three separate components are faulty: 'rat tail' wire, transformer or bulb.

5) Cost of LED downlight can vary between $20 - $50 for a 11 or 12W LED downlight. Get it from a shop in Australia to ensure warranty can be honoured.

5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

ok rough light plan
    bedrooms i prefer fan with light
    main bedroom stand alone fan with 4 downlights

over kitchen bench a drop pendant or a feature one. on its own switch??
    dining go a central light otherwise DL's can cast shadows onto the table from people heads.

id look at dimmers on most zones to control the light better. a small cost for the power!

entry and WIR a directional or pendant type

Attached Files:

6. robbie_p

Thank you soooo much!

So you wouldnt have a fan in the main bedroom?

7. bob shovel

yeah, but just a fan no light. the DL's will make it more elegant, and with a dimmer;) sure to score points with the mrs fancying it up

8. Sashatheman

Sashatheman Well-Known Member

Our current place when we bought it had around 70 downlights, all halogen. I am slowly replacing them with LED downlights for those that are most used. From the little research that I did, people are saying Phillips brand is really good as they are least likely to have issues with most transformers, and so far I had no issues with those i linked below which are dimmable.
    http://negergy.com.au/products/philips-master-led-mr16-7-watt

9. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

what everyones thoughts on downlights with a dimmer for the family/lounge area would you have the whiter light with a dimmer or still go a warm light with dimmer?

10. wylie

Warm white would be my choice for a living room. Make sure the fitting is made to be used with a dimmer. We had the dimmer removed in our kitchen due to the annoying flicker but our outside lights on back outdoor area don't flicker and we can dim them. Perhaps it was different brands and/or quality of dimmer (same lights).

11. Investig8

Investig8 Well-Known Member

+1 Warm white, bright white for lounge areas even with a dimmer just doesn't work.

The dimmer mech is the cost, quality mech, make sure it can handle more than the bare minimum, if your switching down from 50W halogens to 10W LEDS you still have to make sure your LEDS are dimmable. We switched out the transformers at the same time with a complete kit which was convenient to do.

We used dimmers on an 8 bank and 6 bank in our lounge areas and the one difference we noticed is our LEDS don't dim down as far as our halogens would, even switched out one of the mechs for the new electronic push button type and still the same effect.

12. Big Red

Big Red Well-Known Member

I had my Halogen downlights replaced by large samsung 8w ones. I love them so bright and I have plenty in the main rooms and they are dimmable. Also they are plug and play once you install the powerpoints connections them. ( not sure what they are called). Therefore if one goes you can just pull out, change and go get another one. They come in warm and white. So good as well given I am tall and not wanting to hit anything.

13. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

they will be LED downlights that are dimmable

kitchen will be as white as i can get with some narrow ones above the island bench and wider ones for the rest of the general kitchen.

being an open plan kitchen dining living area with it all in one area thats why i was thinking the same bright light but with a dimmer.
    is it going to look weird having 2 different types of light?
    what would you recommend for the dining area then?

would you bother using a dimmer in the lounge then? or is it still worth having a dimmer?

14. wylie

Because our house is "old style" (built 1959 but we renovated it backwards to look 30s" we have centre light fittings in our lounge and dining rooms but we rarely turn them on. We live with lamps. Downlights are not the "look" and don't suit the style of our decor in the lounge/dining.

I think that lighting, like furniture, can be mixed and if done well, a mixture of styles can work.

15. bob shovel

id put dimmers on all. what I did was in our lounge there were 6 DL's I had a switch for 4 and another switch for 2. After that I'd say just go a dimmer switch.
    as for warm and bright id just go one type but perhaps drop tupe light ovet dining on seperate switch

16. robbie_p

Hi All,

My electrician came in last week we went through the house in terms of where we will be installing downlights etc.

He is going to be using these lights:

Pierlite - PierLUX LED Downlight

Anyone used or have some info on them?

Cheers,
    Robbie

17. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Most downlights are indeed very harsh, we noticed this when we moved into a house full of em.

Thankfully cured by replacing them with the $5 'Click'-brand 60-degree LED downlights from Bunnings which have a diffuser. Harsh shadows gone :) Also helps to have quite a high density of downlight fittings in the first place.

[​IMG]

18. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Under? Do you have pic please?

19. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I don't understand why people are so keen on downlights. I don't like them at all. Pendant lights and lamps for me. I'm having a couple of pendant lights made for my kitchen by a bloke down the road who does interesting things with ceramics . I'll have to post pics.

bob shovel likes this.
  20. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

I personally like the clean modern look and light distribution of several flush-mounted lights rather than a few hanging things that attract spider webs and just look a bit old-fashioned.

It's all personal taste :)