Installing downlights

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by robbie_p, 23rd Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I am looking at getting downlights installed in my newly renovated main room, WIR and ensuite (soon to be renovated). I thought that while I get these rooms done, I might aswell do the whole house.

With this in mind, is there anything I need to consider when getting downlights installed? Can I have the same lights for all rooms? Any common/popular styles I should go for? Should I still install downlights in rooms that’s have not been painted(celling)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Robbie

2. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Portfolio Perth Brisbane Sydney Melbourne
    Down lights are not the best form of lighting for above working areas... ie kitchens, office etc. They are a harsh light that cast shadows.. Fluorescent is best for those type areas.

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

look at leds downlights. the same throughout should be ok, but thereare some that are slightly different, gimble i think theyre called. basically if you want straight down or if you want to tiltthem.

get a few options on how many you want/need for brightness. they throw off some light. look at getting different "zones" setup on switches or dimmers.

in our extension 6m x 3m i put in 6 lights and had a switch for 4 and another switch for the other 2 to suit the room use

4. bob shovel

yeah easy rookie mistake potential as rixter said! look at pendants or fluros (can look a bit dated but practical). over say sink or kitchen benches put the lights over the bench rather than even spacing through the room.

wack up your floor plan again here and we can nut out a lighting plan

Last edited: 23rd Jun, 2015
  5. robbie_p

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Attached is the floor plan

Attached Files:

6. 380

380 Well-Known Member

For en-suite, i would suggest to for 3 in one IXL lights.
    FAN,Light n heater!!

since you are doing a complete reno of bathroom, wouldn't heart to run a waterproof LED light strip under vanity.... your electrician can do cabling while he is there..

Cost of 1m LED strip with adapter wil be around $50 all up but wlll give luxurious feeling to bathroom and will be easy on eye @middle of night....

7. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Who has a bath in the middle of the night? ;) :oops:

Mayjong and Phantom like this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We had dichroic downlights in kitchen and over kitchen table. Loved them. Threw pools of light straight down over sink, two over island bench and one over toaster/coffee machine area.

We swapped them out for LED ones with diffusers to save electricity costs. They are much brighter lights but we soon got used to them (didnt like them iitially and really missed the "spot" or "pool" of light from the old dichroics). Personally I dislike fluros so would never install one in a room at home.

They just sat in the same holes made for the dichroics and drop out for painting.

9. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

LED's just installed throughout our PPOR. A good electrician should be able to bring a few samples to your place to have a look at the various light emitted from different fittings.

As an aside, seeing that you have an electrician coming to do one job, take a good hard look at whether there are any additional power points, extra fittings and the like that need to be done.

bob shovel likes this.
  10. robbie_p

Do you have a image of what you had installed?

11. Investig8

Investig8 Well-Known Member

I would have to say switching from Dichroic to LEDs was the best move we did.

Personally don't like fluros except under the house.

We put Daylight LEDs in the Kitchen, Office, Toilets, Bathrooms, left the 3in1 IXL in the wet areas.
    Brilliant light bright white 800lm, 6000K.

In all other areas we used the warm white 3000K, 700lm, this is great in all other areas of the house.

We also went with converting from hardwire back to a flex & plug for future proofing maintenance.

12. 380

380 Well-Known Member

people do use toilets!!!

13. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

That's not what I was meaning but I'll let it go through to the keeper from now on :)

14. 380

380 Well-Known Member

i get it now.. .hey .. may be too late..

15. BLAIR_

BLAIR_ Member

LEDs are the way to go for sure! have a look on ebay, I've heard some mates get some good deals through there.

16. bob shovel

ohhhh be ware the good deals!
    i got cheapy downlights from bunningsyears ago, halogen. i still curse them to this day. actually i curse downlights, unless someone else installs them! then they are alright, and they do look good.
    led ebay example, car interior lights from ebay lasted a few months to a year before slowly blowing each little LED. repco ones look identical still going after 4 or 5 yrs

17. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

I used to do that for a living in a previous working life...boy I dont miss those days..up in roof covered in dust in 50 degrees. :(

18. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Unless you really want downlights then I would avoid them and get good quality light fittings with LEDs. For me it was 100% about energy efficiency because I wanted absolutely minimal intrusions into my ceiling insulation.

Also downlights only illuminate an arc of about 30-50 degrees, so you need more.

Last edited: 24th Jun, 2015
  19. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Robbie, PM your email address and will forward some pics

20. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I recently upgraded 65 halogen down lights to LED recently and after seeing how close my house came to burning down due to the halogens, I would never, ever put any of them into any of my properties.
    Their outside can get to over 200C, so if you're unlucky enough to have something with a low flash point touch it, it will start a fire in your roof.

My new LEDs get to just over 50C, which is much, much safer.

bob shovel likes this.