Installing aircon IP

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Piage, 24th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Piage

Piage Member

Hi guys,

I'd like to install the aircon in my investment property (1 bedroom apt in Sydney).

The real estate agent has provided us with a quote from an installer they recently used:

$2200 inc. GST for supply and install of a Mitsubishi Split System (inverter) 4.2kW.

The model, GL42VGD is discontinued, so I guess it's something they had in stock or they bought cheaply.

2 questions:
    - will the fact that the unit is discontinued make a difference for eventual service and repair in future?
    - is the price in a decent ballpark for a system that size?

I'm about to get some more quote to compare but wouldn't mind hearing from you!

Thanks!

Rob

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would assume Mitsubishi would keep parts for all units they sell, but you could ring their service department and check.

Price sounds pretty good.

3. Piage

Piage Member

It would be also great if you could suggest the name of an installer you could recommend! :)

4. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

5. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

6. Piage

Piage Member

Thanks guys.

7. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Also make sure you check if Strata (BC) approval is required first and where you are allowed to put the A/C unit.

gman65 and The Gambler like this.
  8. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

If you supply the unit you could be on your own to sort out any warranty issues or have to pay the tradie to diagnose any faults. If the tradie supplies and installs its all on him to sort out any problems. I recommend letting them supply the unit.

Is it Mitsubishi Heavy Industries or Mitsubishi Electric?

Perp, Beano and wylie like this.
  9. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

thats the first time I have heard someone say that. Tradies may come and go and its harder to catch hold of the 'same' tradie to fix the issues.
    I am if the unit is faulty, companies like Fujitsus, Mitsubushis, Daikins will be easier to reach out and get a new/replacement/repaired unit.

Perp, Joynz and gman65 like this.
  10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We had two air-cons installed through our air-con guy in an IP. The unit was trouble from the start, had to cut out some VJ panel to find out why the gas was leaking. Nail from the wall behind punctured the duct. Our air-con guy organised the repair under warranty. Being able to just pick up the phone and hear it is all being sorted out by him... priceless.

We have chosen the units for our townhouses based on efficiency and the fact that any visits required due to faults or under warranty comes from 5km away.

11. Piage

Piage Member

To your point, the fact that tradies come and go is not good for eventual repair/service. I think doing everything to a company (supply and install) will make my life easier in the case something goes wrong as they are usually more stable than relying on a random tradie.

But I might be wrong! :)

12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Bunnings can arrange supply & install and sell some cheap & nasty and also some decent units.

13. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

I've been using the same sparky in Brisbane for four years now and he's not going anywhere. The trick is to find a good independent tradie rather than a big company that have subcontractors come and go. My guy is very quick to help if there is a problem.

Some clients like to get the cheapest price every time, I'd rather pay a little extra for someone reliable and helpful because at the end of the day its the tradie who will be coming to look at any issues even after you call Fujitsu, Mitsubishi, Daikin etc.

Last edited: 25th Jun, 2020
    wylie and Coffee like this.