Installing a Second Hand Split System Airconditioner

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Steven_S, 14th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Steven_S

Steven_S Well-Known Member

Hey,

Anyone have any thoughts or experience in installing a second hand split system air conditioner purchased from online sites such as eBay or Gumtree?

I have a 7.1kw system in need of replacement and at a smidgen under 3k to do this as quoted by a sparky, I thought it'd be worth the time to check alternative options such as buying a cheaper $500 ish second hand unit and having it installed.

The obvious reason not to do this is the risk of the second hand unit having issues and its warranty most likely having expired.

Thoughts?

Cheers
    Steve

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Go to bing lee et all, negotiate yourself a new unit, 5 year warranty, they will recommend an installer.. will cost approx. $5-600. And be done for 5 years. Installing a second hand unit could easily cost you more in the long run than just getting a new one now.

I just bought 2 units, 5kw, fujitsu, 2500 for both units and 1k installation for both. 5 years warranty. Free delivery.

wylie, Steven_S and Biz like this.
  3. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Putting in a second hand appliance you're asking for trouble. You might get lucky and get away with it but if not you'll do your dough there and then be up for another new one anyway.

Steven_S likes this.
  4. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

Buy new and with warranty....peace of mind and deductible.

Problem with used air cons is the dirt that may have entered the working parts when it was removed.....very few are removed and stored correctly.
    Needs to blown out with (inert) gas before any further use and even then it may fail if some particles are missed.
    All costs time and money.......
    Buyer beware.

Steven_S likes this.
  5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Tax wise it would be better new for a rental,but for the ppor it could work well,just allow for the re-gas costs in the install quote..imho..

Steven_S likes this.
  6. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Why is it $3,000 for a replacement!? That's very expensive, especially in Winter with specials on quality units.

I'd strongly recommend a new unit, it's too expensive and inconvenient when the used unit breaks prematurely.

Steven_S and Archaon like this.
  7. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Go with a new one, shop around. I had prices floating +-$1.5k for a 7.1Kw unit.

Steven_S likes this.
  8. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Box units second hand is fine. $150-300 and an hour trade labour to put in. Split system, nope.

Steven_S and Tom Rivera like this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

• Is the unit you are looking at second hand compatible with current refrigerant gases?
    • What is the service history of the unit?
    • Who has taken it out? (A/C mechanic or local butcher)
    • What is the condition of the unit (is it currently running and able to be tested? by a mech?)

10. willister

willister Well-Known Member

I did this - purchased unit 2nd hand and got a friend who did it at mate's rates (registered for handling refrigerant) and got away with no issues. This was for a PPOR but looking back and these days, not worth it IMHO for the measly amount you save. A capacitor broke the following year but again, $50 was all that was needed to repair it again, at mate's rates....but there was minimal savings.

Steven_S and Tom Rivera like this.
  11. Steven_S

Tom, the $2,800 I had quoted was for supply and installation of a 7.1kw Daikin, installed into a highset house with existing system removed.

Yeah agreed its expensive, hence looking at alternative options.

Take your point re winter specials! Will certainly shop around.

12. Steven_S

All very good questions to keep in mind if purchasing a second hand unit. Thanks for the tips.

I think i'll shop around for a new unit rather than look into second hand units any further. Far too much risk for my liking.