Installation of smoke alarm in a old house

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Pinkmarjory, 23rd Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Pinkmarjory

Pinkmarjory Well-Known Member

Hi everyone!

we recently bought an old house and found out there’s no smoke alarm in the property. We live in NSW. My partner is suggesting buying a wireless smoke alarm he can attach on the ceiling without having to do too much drilling(worried about potential asbestos- even if B&P says lower chance). Can he just buy it in Bunnings and install it himself (sparkie,but does lifts mostly) or should we hire a professional to install it, sign and certify it? TIA

2. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

Its a smoke alarm. Its just 2 screws into the ceiling and mount the bracket. 5 minute job.

NSW does not have the same requirements as QLD in that they need to be connected to each other from 2022 onwards whenever a new place is sold or leased.

If you dont want to drill at all just buy some VHB tape that holds 10kg and that smoke alarm aint going anywhere for 10+ years. LOL

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I installed the alarm in my property. Easy.

Get the type with the 10 year battery.

Make sure it’s the right model for the situation (kitchens and bedrooms need a different type).

I got a brand that can be electronically linked to others of the same type if Vic law ever requires more than one alarm.

Are you sure battery powered alone is OK in NSW?

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

There is no requirement for a landlord to engage a sparkie. There is no such thing as certifiying. The landlord must ensure the alarm is operational and tested to work prior to a new tenant. If a tenant has a alarm installed THEY must use a sparkie. I would agree a unit capable of wireless connection to other units is good practice and consider installing more than one to protect your property. 10 year sealed units are a great choice to avoid annual compliance issues with batteries.

Smoke alarm buyers guide. Alarms shouldnt be installed within a kitchen.
    Installation guide : Smoke alarm installation guide

What is the law?

5. Pinkmarjory

Pinkmarjory Well-Known Member

Glad that NSW has less stringent measures with smoke alarms. Thank you all for your advises. Will look into them!