Install second toilet price

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Emoi, 19th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Our son had no trouble adding a toilet to a non-legal height downstairs area within BCC. Toilets and kitchens and store rooms don't need to be legal height. Without looking it up, I thought it was 2100mm for these non-bedrooms?

2. wylie

Hardly addressing the topic at hand? If your plumber does the wrong thing, you call him back. Maybe just find a better plumber?

3. wylie

Let's hope you never have a fire and have to fess up that you did this work illegally. Do you think your insurer will cover your butt? The grand you saved isn't going to help you then. My hubby can do plumbing and electric. It isn't hard. But I don't let him. It is not worth the risk.

If you are going to get defensive and point out the obvious (ie. this stuff can be easy to do, but illegal to DIY) then why did you ask the question in the first place?

4. wylie

Still... I'd rather not try to prove anything once an insurer steps in and you could be facing jail time.

5. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

I once sold a house which had deck built by relatives prior to me getting it. The seller found out that the structure was non-compliant above 1 meter so required a permit and the buyer used it as a bargaining chip to lower the prices. Is it their fault yes- who paid for this slight error in height? me.

I do keep every receipt, certificate or any work done to the property which requires certification. why wouldn't you? it's for taxation purposes as well for IPs.

You'll get away with changing a downlight readjusting a powerpoint but for electrical rewires (forget it). i have some in depth experience in insurance claims and i can tell you the loss assessor works for the insurance and not you and some are registered builders who will be to scrutinize every single aspect to reject the claim. we're talking 50-100K claims i put through so it's no small figure.

willair likes this.
  6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe you missed what i was trying to say,if there is ever a fire problem and lets hope there never is,and the fault is through a elec's problem,then they will find where the fire started and if the work is new then questions are asked,and your defence starts to operate within narrow limits..

7. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

For 7 years yes for 50 I dont think so.
    And no, for a PPOR I don't keep receipts or any records for work done and I am not aware of a legal requirement to do so.

8. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

Well lets just say it wont be from MY work as I do far neater and better work than what I have seen done in my IP's and existing wiring in my PPOR;)

Maybe that will be my downfall, quality of work is to good, cant be done by an electrician :p

9. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

And waste even more of my time waiting around for proven unreliable plumber?

How about I just do it myself and do it right first time and save myself the anguish and the $$

10. wylie

But why even ask the question in the first place? And why keep going on about proven unreliable plumber? Find a new one. Do it legally and sleep well at night... or not. It us up to you.

11. wylie

Tell that to the loss assessor. Someone I know was badly injured in a deck fall where another person lost her life. The poor homeowners whose deck collapsed has to live with the fact that it happened on their deck, through no fault of their own. But the insurance is paying the lawsuits, with I'm guessing a builder's liability insurance picking up the tab, not the homeowner. One death, several major injuries. That's why you don't do anything illegally.

12. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

You are the one who keeps bringing it up, you say get a plumber because at least you can get him back to fix his dodgy work.
    I did that, twice and then fixed it myself.
    So I should have got another plumber in to fix the dodgy work of the first? Are you paying for all these extra plumbers because I'm not.
    I've had poor work done by two different plumbers on two separate jobs and now you want me to try another?
    Where does it end?

add: These were good plumbers supposedly, they were recommended by others and they would have been trade qualified which makes one wonder if its worth the paper its written on.
    You are missing the point.
    I did it legally and it wasn't done right, It cost a lot of money and I didnt sleep well at night.

I fixed it myself it cost no money but "Nanny" would say it's been done illegally.
    I can live with that as at least now it is fixed.

13. wylie

I'm not missing the point at all. You asked if you could do it illegally. Most folk said you are taking a risk, big risk, small risk. You still are taking on the risk yourself and voiding your insurance should something go wrong. Is something likely to go wrong? Probably not. Would I take the risk. No.

If you are going to do it anyway, why did you bother posting at all asking if it could be done legally. You know the answer. "Nanny" is there to protect people from dodgy work, done legally or not. At least if it is done legally, you won't void your insurance, lose your shirt.

I'm done here.

14. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I'd be interested to hear anyone's story from here that has had issues with insurance due to work they've had a go at themselves, and not a news story or some wives tale of blatent stupidity.

It's the Aussie way to have a go and not need a piece of paper or some "expert " tell you how to do the job. If you think you'll cause serious harm or is above your level people know not to do it in most cases

Last edited: 20th Nov, 2015
  15. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

To answer your question, no one knows the costs
    Seems it's ok by council, not sure if you need to fill a form and donate money.
    Height and storeroom seem ok to

16. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you wont hear anything.
    Obviously if the job was done wrong like sticking roofing iron down with blue tack and having it blow away in a cyclone it would probably be void.
    Or doing electrical work and simply twisting wires together and covering them in chewing gum it would probably be void.
    But if the work is completed in a professional and tradesman like manner to a minimum of Australian standards why would it even be questioned?

bob shovel likes this.
  17. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

Its actually 2.4 under but I have no intention of building in as I already have more bedrooms and living areas than we need and if I did build in downstairs then I would have to build a shed for my workshop and storage.

18. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

An old trick when selling is to just place a few extra toilets around the house, one in the landry, one in the garage, one in the longe room etc. - without connecting them. Works with valuations too. Just hope no one uses them!

19. Laker

Laker Well-Known Member

Do you have all the relevant Australian Standards? And do you know the minimum type of back flow prevention needed for installing a toilet?
    I'm not saying you do it, but I have seen some dodgy DIY wiring jobs in the past and it can be a ticking time bomb. This is why all work licensed trade work has to be done by someone qualified to do so. I doubt very much you have all the relevant Australian Standards to reference.

No Probs likes this.
  20. No Probs

No Probs Well-Known Member

People like you keep plumbers and sparkies is business, keep up the DIY, obviously you know best.