Install second toilet price

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Emoi, 19th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

Does anyone have an idea as to the cost and legality of installing a second toilet in the downstairs workshop area of a two story house in Brisbane?

Its a non livable area (storage/workshop) Concrete slab and nothing there at present but it will go directly under the upstairs one and I would think simply go through the weatherboard wall and plumb into the existing toilet line.
    Water line is in the same area and I can easily throw up some pine frame, gyprock and swing a door.
    Plenty of ventilation provided by floor space/bearers exiting house.

I have a trade background and can and have done general plumbing, building and some other's before and I know I can easily do this if its just a matter of tapping into existing pipes but "legally" I probably am not allowed.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Legally not allowed to be done by you. It should not cost much if you can just get a plumber to add one into the existing pipework. You do the building of walls and door. Why not get a plumber out to quote?

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

If its for a ppor and your confident with what your doing, you can do what ever you want!... As for the "formalities" there may be an issue come time to sell and the plumbing you "should" use a plumber but if your confident cutting into pipes and no leaks etc go for it I say,your the one that will be cleaning up the mess if it goes pear shaped! :D

4. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Legally it looks like you already know the answer - use a plumber! Even using a plumber doesn't necessarily mean it will comply with Council regulations.
    Otherwise just do and use it - might make life interesting though if you ever go to sell the house.

5. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

Cutting plastic and glueing together with the appropriate adhesive is a skillset I had achieved at 5 when making airfix model aircraft.
    It's hardly rocket science is it. ;)

6. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

And it doesn't even mean it will be done right.
    First flush issues on a water tank installed by a "plumber" ,(he had been back twice) were fixed by me in a few minutes recently.

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Knowing how to do something and legally being allowed to do it are two very different things. More dangerous with DIY electrical work though I guess.

8. bob shovel

Don't let "the man" stop you from building a thunder box!!

9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Not sure about BCC, but it can be difficult getting approval for installing amenities in non-liveable space.

10. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

In vic, you have to get a building permit hence registred builder or you could get it organized yourself (it is better to get a plumber and registered trades to do this) for insurance purposes.

11. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

How about legally being allowed to do things and not knowing how to do it? My water tank example above as an example.
    We also recently had a new kitchen installed in an IP. First tenant that got to use it needed the plumber to go back out on the first day because they hadn't tightened up the trap under the sink and there was a water leak.
    If they fail at the most basic of stuff I dont see why I should have to pay money, bananas perhaps?

12. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

If it leaks the concrete floor gets wet. I fix the leak and I hose it out.
    No damage done.

bob shovel likes this.
  13. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just frame it all up ,and the have a plumber come in and do the install,but maybe just ring up the BCC and ask the question because i'm unsure if you reset it like this in legal terms,permit costs for this are high alone,not a problem if you intend to live there for a long time may be a problem when you sell..

14. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

how about if you do DIY electrical and then out of blue there is a fire and causes damage. The loss assessor finds out there is an additional powerpoint as per the electrical certificate and deems that to the be issue and decides to decline the payout.

If there is a leaking tap which was installed by the plumber, he will have to come back without cost to repair it. I give you 2 good examples - i bought a franke sink and a caroma dorf showerhead which i am now trying to get the manufacturer to service under warranty or consumer guarantees 4 years after install. the first thing they ask me - do you have a plumbing certificate?

Gypsyblood and wylie like this.
  15. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

Depends what the job is I guess.

I installed a new stove, a hotwater system, a remote control light and ceiling fan and changed old for new PowerPoint and light switches recently.
    All used existing wiring and plumbing and I saved well over a grand or more for a few hours work.

Skillset was being able to pull a fuse, turn of water, count to 2 and recognise black from red and know what they mean.

I wouldn't rewire or re-plumb a house but the basic stuff is very easy.

16. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

There is no additional electricity or power point

17. bob shovel

Bahaha I agree, I look forward to following the backlash headed your way :D popcorn ready

18. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just wondering did you change the power board as well may need a upgrade, and because all new cables are dated if anything goes wrong you can kiss your insurance goodbye if you can't back it up who did the install..

wylie likes this.
  19. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

There was no extra load placed on the electrical so why would it need a new power board?
    If anything the load would be lessened as we went from a 300l to a 125l HWS.

As for proving who did the work can you show me every receipt for every job on every home you have since it was built? This place has had 3 owners I am aware of since it was built and when we bought it no records of who did what were ever provided.

20. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like you have already made the decision to do it yourself before you posted. Good luck with whatever you decide :)

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia