Install new laminate floor board before selling, worth it?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Becbec, 7th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Becbec

Becbec Member

Hey everyone, I’m new to here.
    I’m in Sydney, was about to put my 4 bed unit on market for sale. Due to the heavy rain, some of the old laminate floor board at entrance area was soaked in water and damaged. See attached photos. But now it’s dry, after laying carpet and runner on top, it’s not obvious.
    If change new flooring, have to do the whole apartment, cost about $5000. Real estate agent suggest not change. Investment friends says the opposite. So I’m not sure if it’s worth the trouble or just sell as it is. Appreciate your suggestions :)

Attached Files:

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The bubbles in the flooring detract from the appearance and will be factored into any offer x 2.

Is this water damage worth claiming on insurance?

craigc, Shogun, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Agree! Do you have tiles that match the other room in one of the pictures, that you could put in that hallway? That would solve the problem, plus you've got floorboards running in two different directions, which would take the focus off of that. Someone with a sharp eye will notice that, but many do not.

Becbec likes this.
  4. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

Depends on the likely sale price. If it is high end, then definitely change it out so you can seek the highest possible price. If it is lower end (eg. FHB) then perhaps leave as is so the potential buyer can beat you down by several thousand dollars with them thinking it is a big win.

If a potential buyer was put off by the floor condition, you could always pre-agree with your agent that the flooring can be replaced if a Buyer meets a sale price of $X.

5. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Claim on insurance or change

6. Becbec

Becbec Member

Thanks Scott. Strata insurance may cover it but will probably take several months. If pay $5000 out of pocket for now, whether can generate $10k or more will be a question.

7. Becbec

Becbec Member

Thank you Jaydee. Fair enough. Would mid $900k be considered high end in Sydney for units?

8. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

Sorry, I am Perth based so $900k would not be FHB in WA but who knows in Sydney?

My thoughts on $900k would be get the property sparkling and repair any faults to achieve at least $905k+.

Beano and Becbec like this.
  9. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Talking to a RE agent today (Perth). His buyers want properties ready to move into. A property he had in January took a while to sell, over a month. It just needed flooring, paint and outside tidy up. Another in my street didn't sell till they replaced carpet and paint, then sold in a week. To me if spending $5k adds $5k in value but gets a quick sale then it's money well spent. Today's property very neat and 3 good offers in first week.

freyja and wylie like this.
  10. Becbec

Becbec Member

Wow, thank you for the note. Good to know. Pretty much decided to change the floor now.

11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It's a stop-loss, not an improvement. The buyers won't bargain you down$10k

Becbec likes this.
  12. skater

skater Well-Known Member

If it's a $900k property, then change it. FHBs want something that they don't need to do anything with.

Becbec likes this.
  13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

It's funny...I had a similar delimmna with some floorboards not long ago. An area about 1m by 1.5m was discoulerd due to some chemical spill issue. Agent said don't bother replacing as new buyers will replace the flooring anyway. I didn't replace it and not a single buyer mentioned it. They mentioned other 'negatives' (all properties have some), but the flooring wasn't mentioned. Sold for good price too.

skater, Shogun and Scott No Mates like this.
  14. Becbec

Becbec Member

Hmmmm interesting. My main concern is buyer may start worrying about potential water leaking problem when they see the bubble.

Shogun likes this.
  15. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Can a nice floor mat hide the damage?

16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

It is a concern I agree. It's impossible to know what buyers will think. If you're that worried about it, it's only 5k.

Becbec and wylie like this.
  17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Imo this isn't a great idea. If buyers discover 1 thing is hidden, they will definitely start to worry what else....and if they 'discover' it in front of other buyers... not a good look.

18. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

A neighbour got a nice surprise when he moved in and saw the floor. It's called staging.

19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Fair enough, it's a very possible scenario. A place is staged and buyers beware.

As an aside, I wonder what the law is. Suppose you have a huge black stain under a staged couch or rug etc. Is it the buyer's responsibility to check out everything before buying? To what extent does the seller have to disclose these things...or not.

20. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

If I saw that I would assume the house has a water issue and the floor damage is a just a consequence of a broader problem. So a $5K job could be $50K if the roof is the issue. Or perhaps the house was flooded. .....then walk away.