Install new kitchen & cabinets before or after flooring?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Simpsons, 26th Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Simpsons

Simpsons Well-Known Member

We are looking at putting in a new kitchen and ripping up the old carpet and putting in new flooring, maybe as laminate to look like wood or engineered timber, etc.

Should the kitchen or flooring be installed first and what are the reasons to do whichever one first. Thank you.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Do you intend remodeling, moving or refurbishing the kitchen again before you redo the floor?

3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Depending on the layout maybe do the kitchen first then the floors as the floor could be damaged during the strip out and reinstall ..
    But other's will install the flooring first ..

Phar Lap likes this.
  4. Simpsons

Simpsons Well-Known Member

I'm not to sure what you mean by doing it again. We want to put in a new kitchen and new flooring. I'm wondering which is best to do first.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I’d do floors first and place kitchen over the top. There’s no need for trims around the edges of the cabinets that way.

sanj, frankjeager and Burramys like this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Many people think that they must run the flooring under the joinery so that in 20 years time, when they replace the kitchen they think that if they change floor plans they will polish the flooring. Odds are in 20 years you don't like your floor or have sold twice over.

Stoffo and Shazz@ like this.
  7. Maree G

Maree G Member

Definitely install the flooring first, to get all the levels right then install the kitchen.

frankjeager, Burramys and Stoffo like this.
  8. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

get the subfloor level and flat 1st. Maybe install the masonite underlay as well (if putting down hybrid). Then install Kitchen but leave off kicks, then finish with flooring and then kicks.

This way the new flooring does not get damaged and also provides the best finishing.

frankjeager and Joseph33 like this.
  9. Dienst

Dienst Member

Do we think it's cheaper and/or easier to get the flooring and kitchen done by the same tradies (a general builder or carpenter, I assume)? Pondering my options too.

10. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

You’ll be paying a premium if you do it this way i.e. going through a builder.
    Best to get the kitchen done by a cabinetmaker, flooring by the installers from where you purchase the flooring.

11. Engineer Electrical

Engineer Electrical New Member

I will install the floor first and then the kitchen cabinets. This is cheaper in labour and materials as the tiles is easier to install without expensive details.

frankjeager likes this.
  12. Jerms

Jerms Active Member

I recently, did our kitchen and floating flooring through out.
    I layed the flooring after the benches were installed, and asked the installer to cut the kickboards 15mm shorter (to allow for the 12mm floating floor and underlay. Then I laid the flooring to go under the kickboards so there is no requirement for quad to hide the edges. I only had to trim one kickboard to fit. it gives a neater finish.

Travelbug likes this.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.