Inspiration for those who think they can't from Taku Ekanayake

Discussion in 'Investor Stories & Showcase' started by Player, 30th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Noobert

Noobert Well-Known Member

@Taku Ekanayake I just heard your interview on the smart property investment show - great overview of your journey so far.. I saw Uncle G got another mention. And more references to this mysterious broker/mentor :) who I noticed was also on the show a few months back. I recommended the interview to a colleague around the same age as you for some inspiration.

With regard to uncle G, would you recommend any particular book to start off on? I'm hoping to do some reading over the christmas break..

MTR, Perthguy and Taku Ekanayake like this.
  2. Scott123

Scott123 Active Member

Mate they are all good. I just finished 'Be obsessed or Be average' and it was good.

Another good one if you're looking to start the new year positively is 'The Miracle Morning' by Hal Elrod

Taku Ekanayake and Noobert like this.
  3. Taku Ekanayake

Taku Ekanayake Well-Known Member

thanks buddy - much appreciated!

yep GC is the man - he has been with me through thick and thin for the past 3 yrs. all his books are good. Sell or Be Sold is good (especially if you're in sales).
    More general books, I would suggest is 10XRule - it is agape changer. then followed by Be Obsessed Or Be Average (sequel to 10X).

I suggest you get onto grantcardonetv.com. great shows daily i.e. Young Hustlers, Cardone Zone, Real Estate Show, Power Players so much on there etc.

Broker is @Michael_X. He's a machine also!

+men, Noobert and House like this.
  4. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

Picked up the 10x rule and I'm part way into it thanks to this thread :)
    Absolutely love the idea that success is our ethical duty and responsibility.

Taku Ekanayake and Sackie like this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

It's a great book. Have it underlined and highlighted throughout. It's not for everybody though.

6. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Will give this one a go.

7. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

I couldn't help but highlight a heap of things as well.
    Like this gem (attached)

Attached Files:

pwt, Player, Taku Ekanayake and 2 others like this.
  8. Noobert

Noobert Well-Known Member

I heard this idea on this podcast called Inside Quest. I'm guessing the speaker took this on board too. It's interesting to see similar ideas being repeated by different sources.

9. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

10. 45degree

45degree Active Member

Hey @Taku Ekanayake great work really inspirational what you have done!

11. Luk.bai

Luk.bai Member

Screenshot screenshot screenshot

12. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

I had coffee [with my broker] and told him to show me how he did it. He took me under his wing and taught me how to identify a good property. Essentially, I have been copying what he has been doing"

Yeah, very nice if you can get mentored by someone who knows how to identify a good property. Unfortunately most people don't have this opportunity.

Perthguy likes this.
  13. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

My capacity to achieve what I would like is limited by what I believe.............

ta

rolf

Sunshine99, Gockie and willair like this.
  14. Anthony Brew

It is also limited by reality.

15. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

So.... go and seek out the assistance! You aren't a tree stuck in one place...

If you can't find people/a person who you can learn from on here, then you really aren't trying.

Stolen just from a few posts above...
    IMG_3238.PNG

16. Anthony Brew

Hi Gookie, you misunderstand me. I never said that one can not make any progress and should not try. My point was that someone with a mentor will progress and at an enormously faster rate. I was lucky to have a mentor in another field and it took me about 3 weeks to progress to what most people without a mentor would learn in 6 months allowing me to reach the 5 year point of understanding within a few months. To relate that to this thread, it might take someone 5-10 years to learn what this person was taught in a few months, and at the 10 year mark the mentored person is light years ahead. I never said that you should not try - that would be ridiculous. My comment was simply that it would be nice to get mentored if you can but unfortunately most people don't have the opportunity.

17. Anthony Brew

Unfortunately someone then replied with something that is frankly ridiculous, saying that you can do anything if you just believe you can. This type of comment irritates me. Reality exists in life and definitely is a limiting factor whether you face it or not, and deluding yourself into ignoring it will make you pay a big price later on.
    I never said anything about it being a reason not to try though.

Perthguy likes this.
  18. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I haven't had any formal, intentional or structured mentoring with property investing. However, I spent time with my parents inspecting houses, discussing them and helping them with 2 builds. I designed the house they are now living in. I also did the same with my brother in law, inspecting and selecting properties, working out development potential and potential profits and also helping with a renovation and a build. Doing these things gave me the confidence when it came time to invest for myself.

You do have options though. Have you been to any of the PropertyChat meetups in Melbourne? I know you are in Thailand now but do you travel back to Australia?

Otherwise, there are some reasonably successful property investors on this forum. If you reach out to some of them, they may be able to assist?

Anthony Brew likes this.
  19. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hi @Anthony Brew, great! Keep seeking mentors.... Lots of successful people are very willing to help someone who has the initative to ask for assistance.
    Its great to give back....

Anthony Brew likes this.
  20. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Attitude is far more important than mentorship, in my opinion.
    The best mentor is no good to somebody not able to absorb the wisdom.
    Personally, I believe the best learning comes from within oneself.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia