Insane increase in vacancy rates in Australian cities

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by PropDir, 17th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. K974

K974 Well-Known Member

Yes historically fair enough
    But it Doesn’t justify the terrible standards still in place nowadays ,

Zimplestiltskin likes this.
  2. John_BridgeToBricks

John_BridgeToBricks Buyer's Agent Business Member

That's actually an excellent post, thank you. Good point about the weather. I suppose the only thing I would say though, is that when we are talking about declining build quality, we are talking more about things like water penetration in the basement leading to large special levies.

3. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Construction unions are large issue here. Industrail action on large sites. This all adds to cost.
    Wages here are too high .
    Basic laborer on site gets $1200+ per week. That is unheard of in other countries.

STAMP DUTY

S94 contributions

DA fees

this is just the start.

craigc and John_BridgeToBricks like this.
  4. Illusivedreams

OK ,
    Les also add to this.

Heating /cooling cost increase $300 pq/ $1200 Per annum (additional above base line due to poor insulation)

Additional Cost of Double glazed windows to a house $40,000 upfront
    Additional insulation $5000
    $45,000

How man families will agree to better thermal efficient if the builder said tot he here is $400,000 build oohh by the way if you would lie ti better insulated to be more efficient it will cost and extra $45,000.

I know the answer.

You can always build more efficiently people choose to build cheaply.

It may be better to front load the cost but people dont do it.

I feel its supply demand equation.

John_BridgeToBricks likes this.
  5. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

!!! What are you building? In the UK double-glazed windows are the norm and the extra cost is minimal. Germany IIRC uses triple-glazed windows.

6. Zimplestiltskin

Zimplestiltskin Well-Known Member

I only mean to explain them.

I also wish the standards were higher, I wish the average Australian cared about quality and would buy less things or smaller things that were expensive but of better quality. I wish the average Australian could appreciate the value of well-made things. But I don't see that happening nor do I think you can change it.

Did you know it's pretty unique in Australia to sell a house and not be liable if it falls apart when the new buyer moves in? Or if there were hidden problems that weren't disclosed? I think we are one of the few countries where full responsibility lies on the purchaser. That certainly doesn't help.

AlphabetSoup likes this.
  7. K974

K974 Well-Known Member

the weather is not really relevant,
    southern australia is as cold and wet as much of europe in winter, mainland europe also gets very hot in summer.

i was looking at a renovated house in Brisbane lately, $2m +/- , freezing cold inside it upstairs early morning in winter at the open, no doubt the same house is like an oven in the height of summer

a $2m property which is aesthetically very nice, but it neither keeps you warm or cool, it simply keeps you dry, its not functional its not fit for purpose, although people are fawning over its "hamptons" style

i can buy a caravan that's better built.

the residential construction standards here are a joke,

Burramys and abc like this.
  8. K974

K974 Well-Known Member

whilst i dispute your numbers, the point is that they are options here, its a choice
    they are part of the mandatory regulations elsewhere, the regulations and standards here are light years behind

hence why i laugh when people say its the regulations drive the cost of building in Australia, that's simply not true, its the labour, land cost and pre construction red tape etc only drive the cost.

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Can you put up a link for this house? Surely any $2m+ house would have air-con?

10. K974

K974 Well-Known Member

It had air con, had every mod con, aesthetically a beautiful house very flash, that's all well and good

but not much point tho when all that separates you the elements is a sheet of plaster board, weatherboard and a corrugated iron roof, floorboards with visible gaps, single pane windows

that's whats available in the local market and that's fine, but its when people say building regulation is a driver for high Australian property prices they are having a laugh, there is no comparison with specs elsewhere.

11. wylie

Now you've really got me intrigued. Single pane windows are normal here, corrugated iron roof too, plaster board may or may not have insulation between it an the external cladding (but VJ walls almost always will not have insulation unless the house has been renovated). Single skin VJ walls won't be insulated, but we don't really get cold here. I'm sitting here in a teeshirt and a light sweatshirt, no air-con required. But floorboards with visible gaps makes me wonder if this is a fully renovated house?

That pretty much sums up most or the houses we've held or lived in.

Are you able to put up a link?

12. K974

K974 Well-Known Member

yes its sums up nearly every house, thats my point, its not the construction regs driving the cost, as the regs and building standards in residential are extremely low as you have just point out , its the land, labour and pre construction red tape, that why i smile when anyone says its part of the reason for high Australian house prices are the regulations or standards,

i'd rather not as i dont want to offend someones new house, but do a search in recently sold Brisbane inner west in last 2 months and you'll find it, or as you said its like most houses, so the point applies across the board not just to 1 example

13. AlphabetSoup

AlphabetSoup Active Member

Well, we're similar to China in that respect. I've seen videos and photos of many Chinese apartment buildings recently built and falling apart after only 2-3 years.

I've lived in Australian apartment buildings that are showing faults even though they are brand new. I don't understand how a builder can hand over a brand new apartment despite flaws everywhere. I've watched tenant friends hammer in nails in the carpet of one property (they were sticking up and cut the tenants foot when they stepped on them), fixtures also literally hanging off the walls. I guess the owners are overseas and have never set foot in the property. It is a real shame that we allow such appalling quality to be built in this country.

14. wylie

Well, curiosity made me search for Mount Coot-the, Taringa, Highgate Hill, Gracefille, Corinda, Bardon, Ashgrove and there are 1079 houses sold for over $2m so it's not that easy. Am I close with any of those suburbs?

I doubt the buyer is reading the forum, and it is only your opinion of their new home.

15. Illusivedreams

In an apartment with 3/4 windows maybe in a house with 4 bedroom project home with windows door Bifold , sliders $40,000 may not have you covered.

Dont forget even when assembled in Australia which most arent the mechs come from Europe.
    The volume in Australia is tiny compared to Europe.

16. Illusivedreams

You are paying $1.3million for the land and $700,000 for the house maybe less.

When not build your own home to specification. I jsut worked with some one who did the cost of the build was $1.3 million Nice warm double glazed polished concrete floors amazing hosue.

A spec home from Metricon in similar fusion would be $800,000

So the other $500,000 is what makes the home the quality it is.

The issue is its hard to force people to all spend extra to reach a particular goal.

17. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

A radio programme put me on to this fascinating bit of trivia:
    What is an optimum house shape that stays warm in winter and cool in summer without reliance on outside energy sources? Designers have grappled with this question since ancient times. Socrates, the Greek philosopher, studied this problem about 2,500 years ago. His solution – Socrates House as it’s now referred to — is a trapezoid shaped house with the long side facing the sun. The roof overhang on the south blocks the hot summer sun, yet allows the winter sun to penetrate into the home. The roof slopes down in the back to avoid winter winds. Sun Tempered Architecture – Socrates House | Natural Building Blog

2,500 years later we're building houses without eaves to save money <sigh>

Someguy and noobinator like this.
  18. K974

K974 Well-Known Member

I agree,

And that's my point that when people say the building standards and regulations are the reason for high Australia property costs, they are not, its the land, the pre construction red tape/approvals and the labour, because the specs , quality and standards of houses are incredibly low

19. K974

K974 Well-Known Member

bardon, the house doesn't matter too much you wont see my point from just the photos you have to look at the house , but the point applies to almost every new build house the quality and specs are very low

20. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

You could argue that the cost of most things in Australia is unheard of in other countries

What does a lawyer or an engineer charge per hour? yes they are educated but is their value to the economy equal to that of 20 workers?

We live in a land of opportunity for all

It always ***** me when i hear someone who makes amazing money (not neccesarily yourself) complaining how some labourer earns $35 an hour and is paid too much

If you want to see what your utopia looks like then go have a look at the USA!!!

The biggest issue with our country is government beauracracy
    So i do agree with you on stamp duty,DA approvals and so forth

MTR and Someguy like this.