Insane increase in vacancy rates in Australian cities

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by PropDir, 17th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PropDir

PropDir Well-Known Member Business Member

Hi all - as can be seen in the screenshot file below, there has been a crazy increase in rental vacancies in our main cities during the last 3 months. NOTE - the report I have run is for eastern cities only - i.e. Sydney (2000). Melbourne (3000), and Brisbane (4000).

This is obviously due to impact of Coronovirus but could someone explain clearly why city areas in particular have been impacted?

So far, I understand that there are less students here in these cities to study at universities/colleges, etc, which would impact the number of people wanting to rent such accommodation (which are commonly units in cities) - but is there anything else or a combination of factors someone could describe?

The vacancy rises are crazy - e.g. look at postcode 2000 (Sydney), it shows 590 rental listings in March 2020 versus 1290 rental listings in June 2020!

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

What other combo do you need?

Student markets are huge in Melb..... plus probably a few new highrises onto the market?

The Y-man

Silverson likes this.
  3. The Y-man

Correction - there are NO students .....

The Y-man

gman65, datto and iloveqld like this.
  4. PropDir

Thanks Y-man.

So the existing students who were staying in those apartments have moved out (back overseas or for whatever reason), plus the fact that additional supply of apartments in the market - correct/

5. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Also the lack of tourists means that a lot of airbnb stock is on the long term market. Even those travellers that come longer term are non-existant unfortunately.

Dean Collins and gman65 like this.
  6. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

You were correct there are less students, they all havent just vanished or moved to live under a bridge.

AlphabetSoup likes this.
  7. PropDir

Hi Mel - that's great insight - so basically the tourists who were originally staying in the air b n b short stay accommodation reduced due to COVID, meaning the landlords MOVED their accommodation to longer term unit accommodation meaning this caused additional supply in longer term accommodation market - does this sound right?

Burramys and luckyone like this.
  8. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

More that we haven't had any inflows from overseas visitors that would normally be either taking up long term or airbnb accommodation (so the airbnb owners have had to put their properties on the market). Plus there's also been a lot of people that have gone back home overseas.

gman65 likes this.
  9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

"Students" are still enrolled at universities, but all the courses are run online, so no need to travel into cities for uni. This is both international and domestic clients.

Business meetings are held online, no need to fly interstate and stay overnight.

As property leases expired post March, tenancies must be extended until at least September. This is another reason the economy is holding its breath expecting further vacancies across all postcodes later in the year.

Last edited: 18th Jul, 2020
  10. Meisterin

Meisterin Well-Known Member

In Sydney there are repatriation flights to Korea every week. There were upto 3 flights a week in March and April. So most people who are going back are people without citizenship or PR, and places where a lof of them lived, the city, Strathfield and Lidcombe are facing high vacancy. People renting houses will not rent units or apartments and hence I predict very high vacancy for apartments until Australian borders open.

np999 and Cousinit like this.
  11. The Y-man

Correct - by Week 3 of our semester (3rd week of March) our uni declared we would move online for the rest of semester and campus would NOT be accessible (library, social events, facilities all closed). With news that outbound flights were going to disappear completely, most overseas students scrambled home.

These are 2018 figures - and 2019 was even bigger:
    What is the percentage of international students in Australia?.

RMIT, UniMelb (along with the minors like Fed and SCU) as you can see have massive overseas contingents.

38.7% of Uni Melb's 52,000, 24.1% of RMIT's 87,000 students = 41,300 students just on these 2 alone. Even 2 students shared a 2BR apartment (and many actually stay in 1BR unsahred), that's potentially 20,000 leases.

Monash in Clayton, Caulfield and CBD host 24,500 overseas

Even a smaller player like Swin with 15.5% of 23,000 students means thousands of vacancies of apartments and Unilodge around Hawthorn.

Around the nation, the other big overseas players in the market are:
    Bond almost 50%
    CQU 30%
    ANU 39%
    UNSW 37%
    UOS 38%

There's an interesting updated article here:
    Interactive: international students make up more than 30% of population in some Australian suburbs
    mapping the overseas student population in suburbs

The centre of Melbourne had the largest number of international students in the country – at almost 20,000, or 38% of the resident population. The neighbouring suburb of Carlton has the next largest with 9,600 or 39% of the population.
    The Canberra suburb of Acton, where ANU is located, had one of the highest proportions of international students in the country – at about 44%.

The Y-man

AlphabetSoup, gman65 and sqe like this.
  12. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Take Corona our the picture then the CBD was already in for a very tough time due to apartment glut, changes to lending, changes to foreign buying.etc. Throw in Corona and you have all the ingredients for an absolute bloodbath.

Whilst I don’t buy some experts 30% drop across the board. I think CBD and surrounds (south bank, Docklands) upwards of 30% is reality.

Edit - Replace reality with certainty.

gman65 likes this.
  13. Kent Cliffe

Kent Cliffe Well-Known Member

This is my anecdotal experience from Perth (which has been through a massive hit on the rental market)
    • Inner city CBD apartments very hard (we saw 20% vacancy and 50% rent reductions on the top end)
    • Granny flats/1 beds (in the suburbs)/ irregular rentals - Very sustained periods of vacancy 4+ months were common with a 30% fall in rents.
    • Good school catchments / suburban homes presented well - these were least impacted with a smaller fall but tenants had a flight to quality. (i.e. they budgeted $600 a week for rent so rather than staying in the same place for $400, they'd find a better place at $600).
    Hopefully, east coast is not as bad as Perth because it was carnage. I'd expect if the east coast suffers the same fate as WA, it would have a much larger impact on the Australian economy. Only positive news, it's getting better now (but that was 5+ years of low to nil construction).

C-mac, iloveqld and Silverson like this.
  14. Coastal

Coastal Well-Known Member

My Marsden QLD properties were leased out within 1 week of advertising. Lower end properties doing ok. I am getting $330 pw for each property.

15. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

As we move to make Australia as unattractive as possible for the Chinese. The question is will Nepalese and Indian students fill the empty apartments after we open the floodgates?

I see long term a change to Indian and Nepalese students over Chinese will see some benefits. A higher percentage will seek permanent residency and a willingness to work for less will be welcomed by businesses and see a drop in wages across all industries.

KFC_8, C-mac and Cousinit like this.
  16. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

I just had 30+ groups at an open house for a very family friendly place in far west Sydney. The right property will still see strong rental demand.

Jana likes this.
  17. Coastal

Coastal Well-Known Member

They placed barriers on indian and nepalese students last year. Maybe they will open the flood gates

18. Waterboy

Waterboy Well-Known Member

So is it a good time to buy?

19. The Y-man

As a PPOR? You can probably buy an entire floor plate, join up all the apartments and get 20 carparks...!

The Y-man

Sheshop, Vine Street and Someguy like this.
  20. Zimplestiltskin

Zimplestiltskin Well-Known Member

I'd like to know this too.

I'm guessing it's a good time to be looking to buy, as long as you are patient and happy to wait until the bottom hits

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.