Input on what to do with this kitchen?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by EN710, 20th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

The kitchen in one IP is not too old to warrant replacement, but I think a makeover once it's empty will make it easier to find new tenant. Just entertaining the idea at the moment.

Thinking of the below, most likely will need a handyman to do it (will they be cheap?):

1. Painting the countertop with countertop paint. Can go rustoleum but I'm really interested with Giani Countertop paint
    White Diamond Granite Countertop Paint Kit | Giani Granite Paint Australia
    It can generate really good results from the look of it (although I don't think handyman would do this) Countertop Redo with Giani Granite Countertop Paint

2. Paint cabinet (white?)

3. Replace handles with this one :) Ø10mm Black Stainless Steel Kitchen Door Cabinet T Bar Handle Pull Knob 2"~24'' | eBay

4. Paint the tile splashback white (or is it cheaper to just replace or leave it alone?

Or...

Do nothing?

Any input welcome :)

upload_2016-10-20_10-41-1.png upload_2016-10-20_10-43-13.png
    upload_2016-10-20_10-42-10.png

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Do it for sure, if it's in good functional condition inside. Will look heaps better.

EN710 likes this.
  3. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

agree with Jess. If it's functional and all working well, then your ideas are pretty cost effective. Show us the pictures after makeover.

EN710 likes this.
  4. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Yep go for it. The Gianni looks like an interesting product, I'd probably want something to practice on if I were doing it myself, and I think you're right about the handyman not touching it... :)

EN710 likes this.
  5. citystar

citystar Well-Known Member

I did a quick reno with a kitchen that looked very similar beforehand. I replaced the bench top with a granite look-a-like and 2pac (semi-gloss white) painted the kitchen as the wood looked outdated but was still in good condition. Installed new door handles and in my case replaced new white tiles as the splash-back, however you could paint your tiles white without needing to replace them if they are in good condition.

EN710 likes this.
  6. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

May I ask the ballpark cost to change the benchtop and replacing the splashback?

7. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I'm tempted to do it myself almost like an art project ... but add flight cost, travel to property, hours to do it, overnight accommodations.... I need a creative handyman o_O

8. Mavis

Mavis Well-Known Member

there are companies that can install splashback over existing tiles.. that's an option i was going to explore when i get round to tackling the kitchen as the rangehood will need to shift up.

I am interested in following your reno ideas.. my existing kitchen is very similar and i plan on painting over the existing laminate cupboards and change the knobs

your links to the benchtop looks interesting - i am unsure how i can keep our cats the kitchen for the overnight duration! im not sure the odd paw print will look good with the granite look! ;)

EN710 likes this.
  9. ramblin72

ramblin72 Well-Known Member

We redid our PPOR kitchen counter tops with the Giani paint kit. You definitely need some creative confidence with doing it because the final look will depend on the decisions you make when applying each layer. I dabble in art quite a bit as a hobby and was second guessing myself on some of the paint applications. I ended up liking it in the end but I imagine if someone didn't put much interest into getting the look right then, it would end up looking crap.

Unfortunately it did deteriorate quite a bit from general wear and tear with little sections peeling up and before too long what originally looked like black marble ended up looking like silver marble as all the black came up. Towards the end, every time we wiped our counters down, I felt like we were mostly wiping paint off. We ended up putting plastic mats down it was so bad.

I can't say for certain what the timeline was, but I would guestimate 12-18 months before we got sick of the peeling and using plastic mats and replaced it.
    We ended up putting this granite-look vinyl on top: Instant Granite Film Unatuba Black. Fun Home Upgrades.
    It turned out really nice and it's been 2 years with no issues at all.

I am avoiding a kitchen reno :)

EN710 likes this.
  10. Mavis

Mavis Well-Known Member

Did you remove the sink when you put down the vinyl top?

11. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Thanks @ramblin72 good to hear from someone who has experienced the product. The Film look interesting and less time consuming, how do you apply the product? cut piece by piece and stick it on? o_O

I like anything reno... if I have a lot of time, money and skills (I don't) :p

12. ramblin72

No, we just put 1 side down from the left and 1 side down from the right and they met in the middle of the sink ....kind of like putting 2 horse shoe shapes down. We then lightly brushed over the split at the front and back of the sink with silicone to make sure it stayed down as we knew there would be water constantly around. I'm surprised myself that it's lasted so long but there is no issues at all with it coming up.
    The split isn't that obvious to see as the granite pattern is fairly busy. If you were to just walk into the kitchen and go about your business you would not see the split but if you were to stand there and inspect the sink area, you would see it.
    We dreaded the sink section the most because all the YouTube videos we watched seemed to skip the sink part. We just decided to go for it and it ended up looking pretty good.

Mavis and EN710 like this.
  13. ramblin72

We have a galley kitchen so one basic rectangle shape bench on one side and then a longer bench on the other side which has the sink in the middle.
    The basic shape rectangle we just cut one piece for the whole bench and applied it.
    The sink side, we applied in 2 different sections, as per my previous post.
    Applying vinyl can be a bit challenging in that you want to avoid air bubbles. We tried using all kinds of flat implements as a smoothing tool...scrapers, credit cards etc...but in the end it was easier to just use the side of our hand to run the vinyl down.
    It was definitely less time consuming than the Giani paint.

EN710 likes this.
  14. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Painting the lot and handles would be good and cost effective

Where is the property?

15. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

SE QLD, I would need to have a couple things done (replace flooring, fix bathroom) so thought kitchen can have some (budget) TLC :oops:

16. Mavis

Mavis Well-Known Member

@ramblin72 - did you order from that website? It doesn't look like they ship to Australia.. :(

17. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Trick to sticky film application is using a spray water with warm slightly soapy water. Spray the bubbles onto the already clean surface, then put your sticky-backed film down. Move it into position and squeegee the film bubbles out.

Old mate used to tint windows.. easy when you know how :)

ramblin72 and EN710 like this.
  18. ramblin72

Yes I did but I had a business and freight forwarder at the time.
    I just had a look at Aliexpress and they have a few different options. I search for granite vinyl. A lot of it has free shipping. I buy from Aliexpress all the time...delivery can take a few weeks though:
    Shop granite vinyl online Gallery - Buy granite vinyl for unbeatable low prices on AliExpress.com

Also, some ebay options:granite vinyl | eBay

Mavis likes this.
  19. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Yeah great idea while you have someone in there.
    If you want it painted just tell the handy man what you want done, you're paying the invoices! (Unless there's something he sees and a good reason to do something else)

EN710 likes this.