Input on my Dual Key design

Discussion in 'Development' started by Archaon, 20th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Hey all,

Would I be able to get some input on my most recent design?

The block is only 12.93m wide.

I'm already looking to change the laundry/toilet in Unit One into a single room to remove a door from the hallway as it seems there are too many.

Any and all criticisms welcome, hoping for some insight from the more experienced developers among PC members Screenshot_20190720-230847_Drive.jpg @Westminster @MTR

Regards,
    Arc

2. mickyyyy

mickyyyy Well-Known Member

You hit the nail on the head with Alfresco on each corner side as both occupants will have privacy!

Archaon likes this.
  3. Archaon

Thanks mate, both will have separately fenced private open space.

4. mickyyyy

mickyyyy Well-Known Member

I've seen so many crappy designs and coming up with my own for future projects

Archaon likes this.
  5. Archaon

Give Dixon a look, they have like 1900 designs online you could use for inspiration or you may find some you like.

mickyyyy likes this.
  6. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be putting WC in with Laundry just because of too many doors.... As a owner or tenant I would prefer separate WC, would allow laundry door to stay closed off, likely with heap of clothes/shoes who knows what...

wylie, craigc, Joynz and 1 other person like this.
  7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Only one garage? I'm assuming Unit 2 will park on some paving next to the garage and Unit 1 might park an additional car in front of the garage. Make sure that sort of set up can work. You don't want Unit 1 additional car getting into the way of Unit 2 parking etc

Unit 2 I think the laundry is overkill and could better utilise the space.
    Unit 2 I think that ensuite will struggle to be practical. The distance from the corner of the shower to the vanity will make it hard to get to the toilet I fear. If I'm looking at the right measurement it's 2700mm long? You could put a full length shower to the right where the toilet currently is 900 x 2300 (you don't need all that length but just put a solid shower screen then an opening and towel rail at the end of the walk in shower), then toilet 850mm spot, then vanity

8. Archaon

How i'm proposing.

hallway one1.JPG

How It currently is.

hallway two.JPG

Also considering flipping the WIL door to the opposite side to give more separation.

Cheers,
    Arc

9. Archaon

The laundry is to provide a separate toilet for visitors instead of the toilet in the ensuite.

Thank you very much for you input re- the shower, you're spot on and i think I will rejig the setup.

10. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Yup I understood it's intent just thinking in terms of where I'd better use some of that space and that would be the living room. The dining table I assume would go in the kitchen area and then I assume the window next to the fridge is a highlight and you'd put a couch there facing a tv point on the opposite wall. By my eyeball calcs you've got like 2500mm for the living room. So either I'd look at grabbing some space from somewhere else or look at the kitchen layout. I'd probably get rid of the WO stack and go with an underbench oven under the hotplate and potentially move cooking appliances over to the other wall and have the sink where the oven is then you could fit in another window there for some more natural light and ventilation.

Some notes for Unit1
    - consider a cavity slider for the ensuite as the door swing is very close to the vanity - your door is 870 and is that is very large. A 720 cavity slider would suffice of it you want it wider you'll need to move the WIR door over a little
    - consider a skylight for the main bathroom if it's not on there
    - the living room is quite long and skinny. It would be more furnishable if it was more square but I know this is a narrow block. I would consider changing the window to be 2 skinny full height windows with an alcove taken out to the eaves where you can put the tv. This will give you an addition 400-600mm to the room. Then you could make the room less long and give some additional space to the alfresco

Both - consider furnishability and windows. Imagine how furniture will be placed and how people will traverse through the house. Sometimes highlight windows where furniture can be under is more appropriate or tall full skinny windows with furniture in between. I wouldn't bother with bathroom niches as builders charge a lot for them - some $500 each. I'd be using that money for additional power points, better tiling etc etc

Last edited: 23rd Jul, 2019
    Brady likes this.
  11. Archaon

You're correct about the living space, though i'm looking to extend it further and make the living area larger.
    In the bolded statement, do you mean the unit 2 entrance wall? This will only be a half wall to allow the GF to still feel wide open, the linen will also have mirrored robes to help make the area feel bigger.

- Dixon are rather Odd and follow QLD design rules i think and aren't keen on doing cavity sliders to wet areas.
    - I'll definitely get a sky-light, thank you.
    - I would love to make the Living room more square, though making an alcove in the living would push the wall too close to the boundary and not allow us to fall under complying development guidelines. I actually love the suggestion though and i'll keep it in mind for the future! <3

Dixon actually supply niche's for free as an inclusion in even their base package, though to my eyes they are slightly too small and unusable, I'm thinking to opt for corner shelves instead in-built instead.

12. Archaon

Unit One
    - Keeping the toilet separate, mirroring unit one bath to separate doors.
    - Flipping WIL to separate doors.
    - 900 freestanding oven and 2400 of pot drawers to kitchen, 900 canopy rangehood.

Unit two
    - changing ensuite to WIR reducing width to 1500ish
    - changing laundry to main bath, laundry combined.
    - single separate toilet.
    - moving entry and kitchen towards alfresco.
    - enclosing alfresco into further living space.
    - main bed will be 3.8x3.1.

Sackie, craigc and Westminster like this.
  13. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

So from the start i dont like this - too narrow for a dual occ

But from what it is just a few things for the attached unit
    1) is an entry required? would rather an open living area
    2) wouldnt the alfresco be better as indoor living
    all this as the second unit is quiet small

all from a practical not aestethic point

14. Archaon

I currently live in a granny flat, and it's highlighted how inadequate a sliding glass door is as an entry.
    I also wanted to have a space under the awning allowing for shoes/mat/etc and allowing the tenant/visitors to get out of the rain slightly (1m Eave) at the front door.

In this particular instance I've put a half wall at the entrance where the kitchen is to keep the open space while utilising the half wall to wrap the kitchen around.

As in my post outlining changes above, the alfresco is being enclosed to create more living space.