Inner ring Brisbane development 2020

Discussion in 'Development' started by Sackie, 15th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Starting another project ( was put on hold due to other jvs awaiting completion) and I thought I'd detail this thread ( similar to my other ones) right from the beginning and make it almost read like a diary. I'll try to detail it as much as possible so someone interested in similar can read it and it may help them understand the steps required along the way.

Where:
    Inner ring Brisbane
    What: Almost 900sqm block to split into 2 freestanding homes.
    How Much: $800k for the site, construction costs 1.1m
    When: Start subdivision planning now and physical works in 2 months.
    End Value: Discuss post sale.

Today I met with my project manager to discuss the physical works subdivision planning. Quotes will come back in early Jan. Tenants move out late Feb 2020. Plan to demolish within a week of them leaving. Physical works of subdivision and getting titles will take about 6 months.

Subdivision of site approved via town planner.

Last edited: 15th Dec, 2019
    MGVP, SOULFLY3, MTR and 7 others like this.
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Capture.PNG

The plan is to keep the pool and modernise it to save demo and pool costs.
    Currently in the process of doing DD whether to go modern contemporary or Hamptons. Discussing with 3 Reas.

Plan to send up drone to take photos of city view, then determine how to best design the homes to maximise views.

Possible rooftop terrace in discussion.

This might be the possible view.
    Screenshot_20191215-204333.png

Last edited: 15th Dec, 2019
    Codie, ellejay, Westminster and 2 others like this.
  3. Esh

Esh Well-Known Member

Looks awesome. Love that you are keeping the pool and maximising view point. All the best!

Sackie likes this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Thanks. The pool just happens to be in the perfect area for it to stay :) probably save around 20k. Including some saved on demo.

ellejay and Esh like this.
  5. Leeroy93

Leeroy93 Well-Known Member

Interesting you managed to achieve 2 lots with only 12m frontage. I assume the size of the lots allowed for the relaxation. Was it impact assessible? I think I know the area. Will do well at that purchase point and with those views.

The lucky duck likes this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

The DA approval for this one is slightly more complicated. Long story short it's code assessible. My town planner is at another level :)

This is a double frontage site. However I wanted to close the original driveway layback and put the driveways on the other frontage ( the narrower one). Went in for pre lodgement consultation to council with my town planner, arborist and hydraulic engineer. We had a plan to pre-empt their concerns from the beginning. They agreed to allowing us to change frontage sides ( the other side is a more prestigious street so I wanted that address) as long as the trees won't be impacted too much.

The arborist already had his plan ready to show them the route well take, and the engineer demonstrated how services will be accessed via gravity fed. The envelope of the building will start when the frontage expands to about 9.2m on each side.

Westminster likes this.
  7. Leeroy93

I went through a similar process to get a code assessible over the line. Its great when you have a team working together like that. Ah a didn't notice the double frontage. Usually council are more receptive to those when the average frontage of the two sides falls within their thresholds. Building envelopes being clear in the submission also helps. Knowing what you want and being able to pre-empt council's concerns is worth spending the $ up-front clearly! I plan to do many, many more of these so its great to hear these nuggets of gold from a pre-planning perspective.

Sackie likes this.
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Would love to read about one of your Devs one day if you decide to post it mate.

9. Leeroy93

I will for sure at some stage. Maybe in retrospect as I currently have investment partners involved and would need to seek permission before posting.

10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Totally understand mate. I only post my projects which are not JVs. I'd love to share all my JV ones but I need to respect my JV partner's privacy too, so I just don't post them at all.

Leeroy93 likes this.
  11. LJW

LJW Well-Known Member

Did your town planner specifically negotiate to keep the existing swimming pool as part of the DA? If not, you will most likely need to remove this as part of the meeting conditions process as there will be a standard condition stating that all structures etc are to be removed from the site prior to plan sealing.

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yep.

13. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Thank you Sackie for sharing again.
    I am loving your work from the last thread. :)
    When I get my development going - I will make a thread as well.
    You have inspired me to share it. Such an awesome group.

Trung Truong and Sackie like this.
  14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Do mate, I'll follow with interest.

15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Update:

So after much consultation with agents (1 particular agent I really respect) and doing my own research...

I will have to bite the bullet and go Hamptons/coastal/sexy traditional style for this development. Apparently they are highly sought after in this area and if done well, sell like hotcakes. My pet hate is Hamptons so here is my karma.. anyway doesn't matter what I like, I'll do what sells. So now I'm gonna be Hamptons/coastal/trad obsessed and learn all I can to get these puppies hot and sexy.

Meeting with architect soon to go over preliminaries designs. Tenants move out early March. Place planned to be demolished soon after.

That's it now for.

#yayilovehamptonstraditional! :rolleyes:

KayTea, Navjit, craigc and 1 other person like this.
  16. Gestalt

Gestalt Well-Known Member

Teneriffe? Or Hamilton? Having trouble judging distance from the CBD.

17. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Meet the market :)

Also a traditional/hampton's style will suit the pool you're keeping as the kidney shape IMO would not really suit a more modern style if that's what you were aiming for initially. Skyline CBD will be a killer view at night if you can pull that off.

Sackie likes this.
  18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

close enough :)

19. Leeroy93

Provided you have enough frontage they can look fantastic. I'm not a huge fan of the narrow frontage hamptons style as I think they can look gimmicky. But, as you are well aware, take the advice of those who know exactly what the buyers want.

QldKoolies likes this.
  20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'll probably have about a 9m width to work with. However the site is sloping away from the street. About a 5m fall. So not flat by any means. Kind of the reverse fall scenario to my other splitter.

Last edited: 7th Jan, 2020