Inner or outer Melb northern suburbs?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by jinx77, 2nd Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. jinx77

jinx77 Well-Known Member

First home buyer with a modest budget, looking for a place as PPOR.

I’ve been considering buying a small, 1br older style strata apartment or unit in the inner northern suburbs of Melb. Built in 70s or 80s.

I’ve also been looking at units in the outer northern Melbourne suburbs (eg: Epping, Campbellfield, Thomastown) because I feel like I can get more bang for my buck (more space and a yard).

I was under the impression that it’s better to buy something bigger further out because prices are more likely to rise there. But some experts have told me that if I choose the property wisely (eg: older building, small block) then the inner north trumps the outer north. They said the quality of older inner city units is generally better than the outer ones.

Is it true that it was predominantly the outer northern suburbs that were affected by the recent house price drop?

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

For a PPOR, you need to be comfortable with the location.

Some people simply like the concept of living in an apartment with no yard to care for.
    Others want to keep pets, and need a yard etc.

If you are contemplating Campbellfield, T-town or Epping, spend a bit of time their - day, night, weekdays, weekends.

I suggest even considering Sth Morang (as long as you stay away from power lines!!)

The Y-man