Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Inner Ipswich

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Danmicb, 24th Jun, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Danmicb

Danmicb Active Member

Ipswich LGA covers such a large area with so many factors influencing speculation around any given suburb, hence I find it hard to get excited about Ipswich numbers as a whole. I'm new to this forum, so apologies for creating a thread if it already exisit, but hoping to get some insight/discussion into inner Ipswich suburbs and good value there. I'm talking about CBD, lower north Ipswich, eastern heights, Newtown and silkstone.

Any opinions?

2. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

I really like a couple of suburbs you mentioned and focused my search on a couple namely Newtown, Eastern Heights and to a slightly lesser degree Silkstone. I like Ipswich in general moving forward and feel the city has a lot going for it and a lot of infrastructure and development ahead.

Do you own anything there? Have any interest in the region outside of third party opinion?

Danmicb likes this.
  3. Danmicb

Danmicb Active Member

Thanks Mick, I agree and think the established inner Ipswich suburbs near the CBD with low vacancy rates, and great access to amenities/public transport intrigue me the most, and would appear more poised to gain in popularity as new jobs, infrastructure and population migration weigh in. There are also good deals to be made, with a number of motivated sellers. So far I've found leverage definitely favouring the buyers when it comes to negotiating.

Right now I'm currently in the process of buying a character house in lower North Ipswich, and it is my first IP in QLD. I had also almost secured property in both Newtown and silkstone as well, however sellers were not quite as motivated and not as negotiable as I would've liked, with these eastern CBD areas also seemingly gaining a lot of interest quickly. Lower North Ipswich, being walking distance to schools, parks, public transport, and the riverlink shopping centre appears to make it an ideal location for prospective city workers and families alike. There is also definitely a nice community feel and some nice local gems as far as bakeries etc. It also has easy access to the motorway for those that are commuting to Brisbane or elsewhere.

Property price on the whole, in these inner suburbs, seems to have stagnated for a number of years with a recent pick up in interest and popularity, with decreasing selling times, and a narrowing of vacancy rates. Property cycle wise, there is every chance that the right houses in these areas will provide good CGs alongside the already decent yields.

Renovated character houses on good sized blocks seem to attract the most attention in this area, and demand a higher rent and good rent growth, so that was what I aimed for.

What kind of properties are you going for? Do you have criteria for these areas? (I.e walking distance to amenities/public transport?). I'm thinking that for those people choosing Ipswich over Brisbane (to live or work) are going to want what the couldn't afford in Brisbane. You can't go past the popularity of character houses and Queenslanders. And although they are older, if DD done right, they can be hassle free and appear to be a reasonable choice. Or no? Haha what do you reckon?

Cheers!

4. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

@Danmicb I have gone for a similar property to what you have described. High set, timber weatherboard home on a large block in the inner east (Eastern Heights). No set criteria outside of general proximity to Uni, CBD etc. I feel that we are on the same page with criteria etc.

Ultimately housing comes down to affordability. When you put $$$ against each other from say Logan to Ipswich I know personally where I would want to live. That is of course just my opinion though haha.