VIC Inner city ring Melbourne

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by MTR, 6th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

3. private_number

private_number Well-Known Member

On the contrast, clearance rates yesterday was 82 percent.

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

interesting excellent result

5. The Y-man

6. The Y-man

I get 67% for Mel 27/1?

The Y-man

7. supersam80

supersam80 Well-Known Member

8. The Y-man

Whoa..... seen from my Donvale eyes, this is what I mean that inner subs are undergoing some sort of flat/down period. A mcmansion in Dovny, while granted would be on double the land is the same price (with no public transport or shops in walking distance)

The Y-man

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

So Y-man what kind of appeal does Surrey Hills have? Can you give me a brief overview on this suburb. Thanks

MTR:)

10. The Y-man

One of the most expensive parts of Melbourne (along with Canterbury next door) - median house price for a 3BR is at $1.71m

Beautiful streets with plane and oak trees - gorgeous in autumn.

The Y-man

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Nice
    Does it have inner/community vibe ie cafe strips etc

12. supersam80

It's a stunning suburb with some cafes and in the private school belt but if you're after an inner city cafe kinda suburb then look at hawthorn imo

The Y-man and MTR like this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thats probably my number 1 pick atm

14. jyeung80

jyeung80 Well-Known Member

I built and live very, very close to this place so was keeping a close eye on it :)

I actually thought $1.7M was a little optimistic given the size, age and layout of the property. Surrey Hills has mostly young families or retirees (even DINKs are mostly priced out of the area although that will change with all the apartments coming up). It's too small for the former and doesn't have a master downstairs which rules out a lot of the latter. Also, the main living spaces are very small and a lot of the land is taken up by the front garden which, while nice, isn't that usable as it's not private and on quite a steep slope.

The place we built late 2016 was on a similar sized block (although strata title), but it had 4 BR's, the living areas were bigger and it's even closer to the Union Rd shops. It was only valued at $1.5M by the bank and $1.5-1.65M by a RE agent but it was brand new.

The Y-man likes this.
  15. jyeung80

jyeung80 Well-Known Member

Pretty difficult to find a house with only 3 BR's though. Most are 4 BR where the median price is $2.2M. Even the older houses that sold near me last year were above $2.3M.

And yes, the trees are beautiful... until the end of autumn where you have to spend every week raking up leaves lol

Yep, Hawthorn and Camberwell would be my top picks, but they're quite a bit more expensive than Surrey Hills. SH def doesn't have the same vibe but I think it will continue to see decent growth. That strip along Union Rd is really developing (we have a bar there now!!! :D), there's a Coles opening end of this year and lots of apartments coming up on Union and Canterbury Rd. They just need to get rid of the level crossing...

MTR likes this.
  16. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

I was at the auction and inspected it before. Too many steps upstairs, definitely better with the sizing as downstairs too small. Hardest thing with No master downstairs it does not suit young families (with under primary school age kids as single story better) and doesn't sure older couple (need ensuite downstairs). Downstairs is a bit disappointing with the 2 small living areas (better if only 1) as that house couldn't host any parties as too pokey with the backyard being south facing and small. The dining area is too small to be usable outside of the 5 member family

17. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

this is the better part of surrey hills as just like camberwell it's a massive suburb (extends for 3.5km straight line down riversdale rd)

18. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

Off mont albert rd is my pick, these are the best part of the suburbs of either side of it Golden mile (balywn and canterbury), surrey hills and mont albert. You will find the most valuable parts of these suburbs have a street linked to Mont Albert Rd even if the Balwyn off Mont Albert rd in not part of school zone

19. supersam80

I don't know what type of property you're looking for or your budget but maybe also check out Prahran around Hawksburn, Armadale, and Malvern

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thanks
    Looking at any duburbs within 10 km from city