VIC Inner city ring Melbourne

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by MTR, 6th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. zed_kid

zed_kid Well-Known Member

Hawksburn isn’t really a suburb, it’s part of Toorak.

2. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

hawksburn I feel is just jam packed like south yarra. I wouldn't want to live there. you make a wrong turn and you're stuck bumper to bumper for a while even on weekends.

Armadale is OK - used to ard there for many years during my uni years.

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I was actually turned off South Yarra, we just got back and it is way too over crowded. Not to mention too many luxury vehicles, designer cloth shops, fake people.... can I say that?? LOL
    That's it.... I am going back to Thomastown

MTR:)

Toby, Lil Skater and melbournian like this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

5. dave80

dave80 Well-Known Member

i've not seen that auhouseprice website before... thanks for sharing

edit:
    looks like the richmond property sold afterwards for $1,037,500

6. rjw180

rjw180 Well-Known Member

The answer to the Bulleen one is easy - it's right in the development path of the proposed North-East link. Depending on what the compulsory buy out price is, it could still be a bargain, but don't think many would be willing to place a bet on that. It's already right on the Eastern.

7. The Y-man

Thanks - that's interesting.

The last compulsory buy out that happened to us (for the East-West tunnel that never got built) was interestingly a positive experience for us - basically you are offered a "fair sale value", no stamp duty on the sale, AND stamp duty up to the value of a replacement property discounted on your next purchase, AS WELL AS all conveyancing costs for sale and purchase of next property covered by the Victorian Tax payers. It meant we "upgraded" from a 2BR apartment, to a house, with heavily discounted stamp duty and no conveyance costs.

The Y-man

Kenster, Silverson, Ben_j and 4 others like this.
  8. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

Most houses in Prahran don't have garages and buyers don't expect them so it shouldn't resale

9. jyeung80

jyeung80 Well-Known Member

Pretty hard to make recommendations without a few more criteria. There's good cafes and restaurants on just about every corner in inner city Melbourne. And given you've said not to worry too much about budget, I won't :)

I know someone who lives in North Fitzroy. Lots of nice terrace period homes but the blocks are all very small. Hawthorn is also one of my favorites especially near Glenferrie Rd. If u have the money, houses on the city side of Glenferrie Rd are some of the best in Melbourne. Lots of nice period homes, a bit further away from the uni students and only a 15 min train ride into the city. A bit further out, Camberwell near the junction. Traffic also isn't as big of a problem the further away from the city you get but there's still an express train into the city. Lots of good schools in the eastern suburbs if that's important to u.

I have an IP in Kensington in a quiet pocket with lots of period homes around but still quite near the primary school, cafes and train station. Would avoid the areas near the government housing. Was also looking in Flemington and Ascot Vale at the time but I love period homes and managed to get one that had a recent reno done at a reasonable price in Kensington.

And if u like the beach, there's always Brighton but again you'll be paying a fair bit for house with land.

Want to narrow it down for us a bit? :)

Ouchmyknees likes this.
  10. pwt

pwt Well-Known Member

Why are there so many 2 bedroom units in St Kilda selling below $500k? Some of them looks to have very little or even negative growth to when they were bought a few years ago.
    What are ppl's thoughts on those units as investment?

Last edited: 8th Dec, 2017
  11. Mitch15

Mitch15 Active Member

I imagine that the amount of new apartments flooding the market out that way is having something to do with the prices selling on the low side. In saying that some of the older builds that have a bit of character and lower holding costs could be had at a bargain now?

I just looked at saw a few 2BR with a courtyard selling for less than $500k.

I think in the short term they may not see lots of growth but in the long term it seems they would be a solid foundation for some future growth.

Bayside suburb close to the CBD with a some great facilities at your doorstep - i can't see that remaining the same price for a long time?

pwt likes this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

13. The Y-man

Main issue that will hold value back on this one would be the freeway across the road, and train "overhead" (the rails are raised at this point so the trains run above "roof level")

The Y-man

MTR likes this.
  14. Warrenkh018

Warrenkh018 Member

I wound probably hold off on purchasing inner city apartment / unit at the moment. I would wait for more city apartments to come on line, and see what happens. If the price eases, or at least less competition, I would look at better located apartments in Albert Park, Middle park, South Melbourne and South yarra. Keep in mind, always to look at the surroundings first, as more frequent or not, a housing commission or 'boarding house complexes' like hang over could well be just around the corner.

hobo likes this.
  15. melbournian

agree - Albert Park, Middle Park and South Melbourne are great areas to live with such close proximity to the CBD.

with housing comm - can't do tooo much abt it Even South Yarra, the likes of brightons and hamptons. Even Westfield Doncaster Shopping Centre - right cross has one apartment tower there but it just blends in without too much notice. it had a lot of objections before it was build.

and this one overlooking million dollar terraces just off south Melbourne market in btw albert park

upload_2017-12-11_11-44-25.png

upload_2017-12-11_11-44-59.png

16. Warrenkh018

Warrenkh018 Member

Ah, i remember. I lived in South Melbourne for a few years. The photo is around the South Melbourne Market. Those Commission towers are mainly for over 55+, so its not so bad. And there are more commissions than just that tower. You know those three story town houses you've got in the photo. On the opposite end, there are groups of two storey Victorians. Apparently, these are all commission houses as well. Yes ... each of them could easy go over 2 to 3 million each.

17. melbournian

Yup I live around the area - there are also low storey ones off Dorcas and bank Streets just before the coles supermarket - always one guy asking for money there. Generally they're ok. the Victorian one I believe sold nearly 3 mil I think DHS needed to the coin and all the townhouses on Kingsway sold out in weeks over 1.5 mil. It is not too bad in sth melb albert park

however I wouldn't say the same for like Fitzroy or Richmond (like church Victoria st) man that's like drug pushing areas (I know they're exp suburbs for houses in millions) but still drove by there once past on a warm day and it was like little Africa down there. Even the tenants in those housing comm are afraid to come out during the night.

18. Warrenkh018

Warrenkh018 Member

Re Melbournian:

I know those commissions well. I used to do house calls there (afterhours doctor). The worst ones I'd being to are (in addition to the ones you mentioned): Hoddle Street Collingwood, Elizabeth Street, Richmond, Lygon Street Carlton, and Flemington Road, Flemington.

Once, I was attending a young woman who just got bashed by her partner. She told us (me and wife) how violent and horrible he is while I tending to her wounds. Me and my wife looked at each other, and we are like silently: we are so going to die, as you can just imagine that 'partner' burst through the door any second.

My good old younger days. :)

19. pwt

pwt Well-Known Member

I didn't know the area near housing commission in Fitzroy is still that bad at night. Thought it has gentrified a lot. Haven't been there for years but lived there some 20 years ago as a student and it was certainly scary then :eek:

BTW, what's ppl's view of Burnley? Seems like a quiet spot and not as well known as the neighbouring suburbs.

20. The Y-man

Very convenient if you need to get your Ferrari or Lambo serviced at Zagame. Dutton garage and Maranello motorsports is in the area too.

Technically speaking, I think there are only a few residential streets in Burnley?

Hard to tell as Richmond, Cremorne, Burnley all have same postcode 3121.

The Y-man

Morgs and pwt like this.