VIC Inner city ring Melbourne

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by MTR, 6th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. LukeR

LukeR Well-Known Member

@MTR check st kilda west - best kept secret. Not as dingy as st kilda, cheaper than albert park with all the same attributes. Not to mention the gatwick will now be on the block - IMO will help transform the suburb.

MTR likes this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Will do thanks:)

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Tiny suburb with about 5 streets in it I think? :)

Makes a statistics nightmare that suburb .....

The Y-man

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

that means it will be very different to source as well I guess?

5. The Y-man

8 apartments and one single lonely house for sale in the entire suburb right now..... :D

The Y-man

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I had a quick look a sales, it actually does appear to be good value? I could be wrong.

I will be interested to see whether the inner city areas stabilise and there may be some good buys over the next year or so. I certainly don't think we are seeing the growth that we are now seeing in some of the outer burbs

7. LukeR

LukeR Well-Known Member

To be honest inner ring suburbs represent pretty decent value

Compare to south melbourne (Median 3 bed $1.73m) cottages to paddington cottages (2.3m)

62 Bridport Street, South Melbourne, Vic 3205 - Property Details
    vs
    23 Stafford Street, Paddington, NSW 2021 - Property Details

Attached Files:

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

9. The Y-man

10. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

Are you still just looking for an apartment for your daughter, @MTR, or are you now looking for a standalone property (house/townhouse etc)?

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

No for me

12. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

Ah, ok. I’ve seen some decent opportunities in South Yarra in the apartment market but not really watching anything larger than that.

Good luck!

MTR likes this.
  13. private_number

private_number Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you had to experience that. I can understand why you'd have a bad taste in your mouth.

14. The Y-man

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

16. The Y-man

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

18. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

I think that the most liveable parts of Melbourne are probably going to be:
    • East Melbourne (avoiding being too close to Punt Road)
    • Richmond (between Bridge Road and Swan Street, West of Church Road)
    • South Yarra (particularly the northwest corner)
    • Carlton
    • Fitzroy
    • Albert Park
    • South Melbourne
    I live on Swan Street in Richmond. I've got a shopping strip (Coles, Chemist Warehouse, a butcher, a baker, and Gelato Messina) and cafés outside my door. It's a forty minute walk into the CBD, twenty minutes to Chapel Street, and I've got rail and tram connections into the city.

East Melbourne would be similarly convenient. A friend lived there a few years ago, and she liked it a lot. The CBD would be more convenient, but Chapel Street would be a little further.

South Yarra puts you a bit further from the CBD. You could probably walk it in about an hour, and the route would take you along the south bank of the Yarra, so reasonably pleasant.

There was a house on Macfarlan Street that sold for $2.3 million, which would have been pretty much my perfect Melbourne residence.

Carlton and Fitzroy, along with neighbouring suburbs, would be another option. Again, it's an easy walk into the CBD. There are cafés along Lygon Street. If you're a film buff, Cinema Nova and the IMAX are up that way.

They're probably not as well serviced by public transport as Richmond and South Yarra, but there are several tram routes, and it's a shorter walk into town.

I like Clifton Hill, Brunswick East, and North Fitzroy. There are amenities out there, but there's a penalty of being further from the CBD.

I don't know Northcote so well, but there's a fantastic renovated period house up there, along with another that's been extended.

I've been down to Albert Park a few times. There are cafés and shops along Bridport Street, so the northern end of the suburb, or the southern part of South Melbourne are probably the more vibrant parts. But down towards Middle Park tends to be just houses.

I'm not sure how long it'd take to get into the CBD on foot, probably an hour. There are trams, the number 1 route is a bit slower, because it goes via the Arts Precinct and Shrine of Remembrance. The 96 might be quicker, as it runs as a light railway for part of the route.

Going a bit further out, I like it around Malvern, Armadale, and parts of Toorak and Glen Iris (to the west of the M1). They've got good rail and tram links into town, and shops and cafés along Armadale High Street and in the Hawksburn village.

There's a house in Malvern that I quite like the look of, though at $2 million it's a bit outside of my budget. Its neighbour is probably a better bet, though it's $3 million. And there's a cool Graeme Gunn designed house that could be an interesting project, with a suggested price around $1.8 million.

I don't know St Kilda particularly well. A friend really likes Elwood, which is the suburb next door, so that might be another option.

If you're interested in mid-century houses, there's a cluster down in Beaumaris. This one sold last week, and would have been a potential project.

Brickbybrick and MTR like this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Anyone starting to see value in inner ring, properties taking longer to sell?

20. sash

sash Well-Known Member

My picks would be:

St Kilda
    Brunswick
    South Yarra
    Prahran
    Richmond
    and dare I say Footscray these days
    Would also add Williamstown, Port Melbourne
    Geelong West :)
    Newtown (Geelong) ;)