VIC Inner city ring Melbourne

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by MTR, 6th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

@The Y-man I purchased a townhouse last year that I have only this week realised may be in the East-West link path. I am currently freaking out that if it goes ahead, I will have to let them acquire it, but what happens if I am no longer eligible to get the same amount of finance needed to buy a replacement property? Does it mean I just lose out? Is there any link or website that you can check? Nothing came up when my conveyancer looked through it all at the time of the sale, but due to the project being canned I would assume that nothing would show up?

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

You won't "lose" as such as you'll get the cash to pay out your loan and keep any extra. I assume the stamp duty credit can be kept indefinitely if it is offered....but it is likely a case by case offering.

The Y-man

3. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

4. malleybull

malleybull Well-Known Member

5. jyeung80

jyeung80 Well-Known Member

Yes it has a heritage overlay and also a public acquisition overlay. Could also be underquoted although I haven't been following the market in South Yarra.

6. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

7. The Y-man

I personally would not - too much vacancy risk and large capital outlay needed.

The Y-Man

8. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

Noted, thanks.

Just cashed out from stock market.

If you have 1.5 m (can borrow up to 3 m if I’m confident about the CF to service this), where would you invest at the moment for very long term for CG and CF? Something safe, resilient to price drop most importantly.

I have been suggested blocks of low-rise units within 10 kms of Brisbane, renovator with at least 600 sqm potential land near uni/college or near train in Melbourne (near Caulfield, Chadstone, Box Hill, Clayton, turn them into student accommodation with 8-10 rooms (is this legal?) or buy lots of apartments near Melbourne CBD, furnish, turn them into short stays and get a manager to manage it.

Any input is welcome.

Thanks.

Last edited: 23rd Sep, 2019
  9. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

Or stay sideline?

China's Love Affair With Australia Fizzles as Tourism Boom Ends
    Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

And earn that 2.5% per annum fixed deposit?

10. The Y-man

A small commercial property like the one you initially posed the question with is IMHO one of the MOST volatile and illiquid in the market - you'd be better off staying in the share market if that were the case.

Almost impossible to get "safe" and CF and decent CG in one hit - if there was everyone would be doing it.

The block of units route is probably a better bet ~ at least it diversifies your tenancy base, and gets you land content as well.

Student accomo / rooming houses etc - can be done, needs to meet compliance, permits and rental condition laws.

Rooming house operators

I am not sure in recent times, but we found it hard to make a decent quid without a lot of hands-on management. Very different to doing the same set up on Jakarta.

Short stay apartments - have a look for threads regarding AirBNB and executive leasing. I have never tried it.

Are you able to buy locally from a FIRB perspective?

The Y-man

11. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

Yes, I hold Australian PR and wife is Australian. No problem with FIRB.

Rental yield in Indonesia is very low. But there are a lot of opportunities here with knock-down prices from desperate owners, bank seized land, develop and sell. Manufacturing is booming, industrial land in many areas are over priced. Then again, it’s another story.

For Australia, I already have 1 investment property in Mitchelton, Brisbane. No CG so far, but rental yield is not bad 3.5% net.

Still a newbie, so I hope to get more insights from you experts.

Will read into the roaming house operator rules. Do you think it is worth it?

Block of units seem like it for now.

I have a friend running 12 units of short stay with only 1 manager. Cleaning etc, outsourced.

I know we can’t get them all, CH, CF, safe. But what’s the second best option if you’re me for a long term investment? Thanks for your opinion again

12. The Y-man

This might be a good place to start ~ talk to your friend, find out the returns, the challenges etc.

The Y-man

Mulianto likes this.
  13. The Y-man

Q1. How desperate are you for the CF?
    Q2. Why did you exit the share market?

The Y-man

14. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

Not desperate for CF.

For stocks, most of the time I just trade, mostly long trade. Got really lucky with BAL recently. It’s just too uncertain for stock market at the moment and it is ripped for shock moment as I feel income recession is coming soon. Trump’s trade war has done a lot of damages that are yet to be felt.

I will still come back to trade once in a while when opportunity arises but in much smaller bets.

15. The Y-man

Understood - that being the case, given the budget you have, CG oriented resi prop in Melb (or Syd) might be worth considering ~ possibly several given your budget, across different subs.

The Y-man

16. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

I would prefer Melbourne, any suggestions? Any government planned infrastructure project? I wonder what’s going on with the Eastern train line, through Doncaster.

17. The Y-man

I think the train to Doncaster is slated for the 25th Century :D

Victoria's Big Build - Projects

The Y-man

Mulianto likes this.
  18. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

If you have $3m capacity, want low risk, CF and capital gain why don’t you go for a strategy whereby you get a commercial property and residential property (maybe with granny flat potential) in each of Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth? You would likely have change from your $3m.

19. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

I can only think of Brisbane and Melbourne with potential CG wise. You’re saying rent out the granny flat separately to boost income?

Not familiar with commercial, but retail is struggling? Keen to hear your ideas and example will be great.

20. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

For the past 3 years, income for short stays yield him around 7.8% net after tax for Melbourne CBD, Docklands, Southbank apartments. But no CG at all so far.

Block of units in Brisbane, yield around 4-5.5% net after tax.

What do you think? Still block of units the better choice going forward?

I wonder if Melbourne CBD and surrounding suburbs, those high rises, can they drop in value? After a decade of stagnant price.