Inlaw's neighbour's asbestos house burnt down

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by FirstTimeBuyer, 28th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. FirstTimeBuyer

FirstTimeBuyer Well-Known Member

Inlaw's neighbour's asbestos house (NSW) got burnt down. It's been fenced off with a warning sign but not much else has been done and it's been 5 days now.

Do the owners have an obligation to have the asbestos removed within a certain time frame? And is there anything that can be done to "motivate" them to clean up the hazard? I've done a bit of reading and it seems like asbestos fibres can become airborne when burnt and I'd say it's something you'd want to remove asap to prevent it from spreading further.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would chase up council as a start and get them moving. If they can't help, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

EN710 likes this.
  3. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Their house just got burnt down... a bit of help and suggestions on what to do might help. I'd say they might not know what's involved in cleaning those up either. @wylie suggestion sounds good

samiam likes this.
  5. Bris Jay

Bris Jay Well-Known Member

I'd be trying to contact their insurer (assuming they have insurance). There is a public liability exposure and their insurer likely act if they know that the neighbours are rallying. Immediate expenses such as temporary accommodation can be claimed if you can prove that you are at risk.

Council won't be removing the rubble, the insurer will.

8650 and wylie like this.
  6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Remember the neighbours will be in shock.

The insurance company wont be removing anything until an investigation is complete. You can invite the inlaws to stay with you for a few weeks if you are worried.

7. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Awful story for the poor people involved.
    Your inlaws need to protect themselves.
    Make a phone call to the Fire Brigade and ask them what to do regarding damage/ asbestos to your house and inhabitants.
    Notify the Council about the asbestos flying into your family's house.. They should come running... Note wind direction and speed of asbestos dust.
    Notify your Inlaws Insurers about potential asbestos poisoning due to neighbours fire.
    Also Environment Protection agency.
    NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA)
    I hope this helps.

8. FirstTimeBuyer

FirstTimeBuyer Well-Known Member

Thanks~ We've contacted the neighbour who's already contacted his insurance. Insurance said it would be cleaned up on Wednesday so seems like they're dragging their feet a little. Will follow up on some of the suggestions posted here.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.