Inland Rail Network

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Wazza, 5th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Wazza

Wazza Member

Any thoughts on how this will affect the small towns that it will go through? Do you think it will have any substantial impact at all?

2. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Fascinating question. I think it will be positive. I would like to buy a block near a station.

The alignment and the reality of the railway are still being kicked around.

There is an issue with rail and coal in qld, some of the inner city suburbs have dust from coal frieght trains floating out. So i would probably measure the plume and buy outside of that.

This is a great topic, hope others have something to say.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Heard a speaker about a month ago from ARTC which looks after the project.

It's not a commuter line so buying near it won't be a thing. The benefits are to all of the nearby towns which can move product to markets more easily.

It serves Melbourne & Brisbane ports and is fed from a myriad of spur lines. Little or negative impact on Sydney/Newcastle/Wollongong other than reducing the goods coming that way to ports.

Trains are about 3.2km long but many of the Qld platforms are only 1.6km.

Linky

4. Wazza

Wazza Member

The reason I was asking is that I live near one of the towns it will go through (Narromine), and if there is a chance to buy properties in some of these places relatively cheaply (and positively geared) with the prospect of some capital gains, then I might take a look at some of these towns.

5. Scott No Mates

The trip will still be around 24 hours long and require housing at 1-2 locations along the way for drivers/crew. Will that be sufficient demand to cause a blip? You would be looking at where the nodes are going to be located and consider whether the activity generated will be enough to encourage investment and growth in these areas.

6. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

7. Wazza

Wazza Member

8. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

correct

Do you have a house in Narromine? I hear it mentioned a lot - I doubt it will go backwards.
    Even though I'm a strong advocate for Central West and thriving towns on rail and especially Parkes, I wouldn't go overboard with this scheme - that is, I wouldn't. Because I know I'm a risk-taker so err towards conservative where I can. On the other hand, I wouldn't do nothing either.
    I bought in Parkes in 2015 after attending several council meetings in 2013 and 2014 where the prospect of the rail was mentioned regularly. Prices were still subdued then; have moved a little now.
    Miners are back too so yields are there. In fact, there aren't enough rentals atm.
    As you would know, the flux and flow is strong in regional so keep that in mind.

Last edited: 8th Dec, 2018
  9. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

10. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

Do your own research but...There are also parts of logan - boronia heights and hillcrest that will have close to 24 x 7 2km trains rolling by. ..and then through brisbane city council upto the brisbane docks....not many people aware

11. Scott No Mates

Really? Those trains are only 1.6km long but inland rail will soon boost them to 3km :rolleyes:

12. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

Infrequent use of those tracks atm but once operational it was reported that there will be no planned curfew. When you look at the slow speed those things run at, projected volumes and the total length there wont be much time that you won't have a train rumbling past:eek:

Last edited: 8th Dec, 2018
  13. Scott No Mates

They wouldn't bother me. I've slept in pubs next to the coal line at Muswellbrook and bit noticed the trains. Everyone else was complaining about the noise and rumbling.

14. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

Haha might be able to pick yourself up a bargain then ;)

15. Wazza

Wazza Member

Nah, I'm in Dubbo, so not far from Narromine or Parkes. Do you live in Parkes? I might go there in the next couple of months to check it out. I checked out the rental vacancy rate and it was 25% or so, so a little lower than I'd like (I like 30%+), but given such low prices it is looking good for those who cannot nvest $500k+ on a single investment.

16. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

I'd probably aim for a little lower...

17. Wazza

Wazza Member

Er...yeah, sorry I meant "rental population." Rental vacancy rate is below 1%, so it's good.

wilso8948 likes this.
  18. Angelar

Angelar Active Member

Any thoughts on how this could benefit parts of sydney with freeing up capacity for more passenger trains? Iā€™m in the outer south west and I believe the reason our trains run barely once an hour is because priority is given to the freight trains. Hoping this will improve our dismal public transport system and increase interest in the area.

19. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

Why do you want rental population above 30% (just curious)

wilso8948 likes this.
  20. Wazza

Wazza Member

I read in a couple of places that the rental population needs to be over a certain % for ease of finding tenants for your property. What I've read was between 30 and 70, although this does seem as way too high.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF