Inheritance

Discussion in 'Wills & Estate Planning' started by MTR, 23rd Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

She does ask for my opinion many times and I am always honest, but some people have grandiose ideas, nothing wrong with shooting for the stars but unless they have the knowledge and money to back it up can be very dangerous. She is also mixed up with a guru cult/group who are out of control IMO

2. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Jeepers

3. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Nothing like ignorance to turn a guru into a goose....

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Or just donate it to charity!

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

@Joynz I agree and like your analytical approach.

Its a concept that has helped me understand myself. My purpose in sharing was to perhaps enlighten others, so also "take it with a grain of salt" :)

6. Iamnumber5

Iamnumber5 Well-Known Member

I guess she is just a person who wants to stand out among the pack.
    Genuine opinion among her peers is deem not good enough, especially if they are out of the league.

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I think that's why hubby and I knock heads so often in regards to spending. He has a "thrift" mentality - which means he wants to put in laminate benchtops in a stone suburb , because they're cheaper - and he's reluctant to spend on anything like a takeaway coffee.

Personally I'm a "she'll be right" type of person - without being extravagant.

Been trying to retrain him for 20 years now - hopefully he'll "get it" when he retires in a couple of years and realises we're pretty well off.

8. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

And he's probably been trying to retrain you for 20 years.

Weaver, Stoffo, Lizzie and 1 other person like this.
  9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I'd gladly take a million dollars and retire the same day. Realistically I don't see it happening, but it would sure make the decision to buy "coffees" out much easier than it currently is. I agonise over spending $4 on a crap coffee when I can make mine at home for less than 30 cents.

I was raised by dysfunctional toxic parents and had a poverty mentality until recently. Hence my new mindset doesn't blink at losing $150K on the property in Gladstone. By cutting myself off from my parents for 20 years made me wealthy. Whatever I have now is a bonus.

Perthguy and ellejay like this.
  10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Get him along to a meetup.

11. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

By cutting myself off from my parents for 20 years made me wealthy. Whatever I have now is a bonus.
    That sounds like an unusual story? I may have a similar story.. Care to elaborate yours?

12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

tell us yours...
    It's a bit sad but my mum keeps encouraging me to sell. She would write quite bad things on my Facebook and try to stir up fights with me on it that everybody could read publically so I needed to defriend.

My parents are doing fine but they aren't property investors. I think she's calmed down now but she's still trying to get me to sell....

13. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Sounds like my MIL. Didn't approve of what she deemed to be frivolous spending. Interesting because one of her children has followed her thinking and lives like a pauper, the other one spends like there's no tomorrow and is enjoying all she has without getting out of her depth. MIL seemed to relish the idea of us having to sell if something went wrong. Don't think it was even jealousy, but just a really fixed idea of how you should, and shouldn't live life.

14. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Sad to say, but I've seen many people who just had to call it a day and cut contact with their parent then finally began to thrive.

15. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately there are also ones who struggle to cut contacts despite knowing that the relationship bring a lot more pain than anything else

ellejay likes this.
  16. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Be interesting to see how your friend is doing now @MTR
    Has she learnt thru trying and/or taken any of your tips ?

17. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Reading through this thread again and getting to the last few posts makes me think of my brother :(
    One day he told our parents to GGF for no apparent reason, nearly 8 years on they are struggling to come to terms with why, and feel they are missing out on the grandkids growing up.
    I have gone on to do reasonable well in my own life, and my parents decided that their assets would go into a perpetual style of trust (of some desciption to benifit future generations)
    Even now i am not sure of the structure, but I tell them it is their money, to spend it by doing anything and everything they ever wanted, even encouraging my mother to buy a "nice" new car a while back :D
    Even if they tried they could never spend half of their wealth :confused:
    I'd rather have them around and forgo the inheritance anyway :p

Gockie, EN710 and ellejay like this.