Inflation - is anyone noticing it?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Codie, 26th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Pickup and post (if they pay for postage). No don't offer things for free unless they're bulky. If free, I just donate to the local charity bin.

Last edited: 23rd May, 2022
  2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I've been getting rid of things as well. Combination of Ebay & Facebook. Customer pays postage if it needs to be posted. Too easy!

3. ozhiker

ozhiker Well-Known Member

ah ok thanks - I meant free postage since I see that offered sometimes in eBay etc

4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

When postage is offered for free in eBay, it's usually added into the price, unless the seller doesn't know what they're doing. This can sometimes yield a higher price than adding postage later. Larger sellers get a discount through Australia Post, so a small satchel that costs around $9.30 can be posted for just over $6, depending on postcode.

5. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. Sure wages might have grown, but not inline with inflation % growth.
    Wages will grow if productivity grows, and that mostly comes down to the individual and companies they work for ( higher quality services, innovation, creativity, etc). Despite what politicians say, they can't do much on this matter. Ofcourse if they say that they lose an election in exactly 0.01 seconds- how dare they say voters need to do work themselves to increase productivity and thus wages...

6. Robert Chatsworth

Robert Chatsworth Well-Known Member

I suspect everyone will now that we have entered a severe energy crisis. If you think Electricity bills are soaring, have a look at natural gas.

The collapse of Weston Energy, which supplies 7 per cent of the eastern Australian gas market last Friday week means a lot of businesses are now scrabbling to secure gas at four to five times what they were paying last week.

Over 15 electricity retailers have stopped signing up NSW and QLD customers on Thursday and Friday, because the cost they buy electricity for is more expensive than what they can sell it for (As the price is capped by the Australian Energy Regulator)

Stocks could get a power shock

Unfortunately with petrol, and now Electricity and Gas surging - inflation is now entrenched. Everyone will need to put prices up.

KJA182 likes this.
  7. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Gas prices are the biggest farce around this country. We sell the same gas to China at a cheaper rate than we do to Eastern coast cities. The current government can easily push prices down if they want to by reigning down on the gas cartel, which will ease living costs pressures but i doubt that will happen as they are big donors.

8. Robert Chatsworth

+1.

You know the market is broken, when companies are building LNG import terminals. We are the world's biggest exporter of LNG, yet it is cheaper to buy gas on the international market, than it is to get it from a domestic pipeline - before huge amounts of energy is used to cool it and liquefy the gas.

You are right - gas and coal lobbies are one of the biggest donors to LNP, and smaller but still significant donor to the ALP.

All this inflation is going to lead to higher mortgage rates, and with some of the highest level of household debt in the world - locked in our housing bubble, I suspect the government is going to have to think quite hard about keeping gas happy, or crashing the housing market:

The gas cartel is going to crash house prices - 26th May, Macrobusiness

Firefly99 and paulF like this.
  9. KJA182

KJA182 Well-Known Member

This is actually the crazy thing - i saw results from Scentre (westfield owner) saying their contracts are negotiated at cpi + 2%, annually. So 7% increase in rent coming for retailers? Seems insane to me...

10. ozhiker

ozhiker Well-Known Member

Some fairly salient points on inflation by the old Schiff - ignoring the fact that he’s got a huge gold bias :cool:

lots of parallels to snail-mail Glenno and rba

11. Rentvester

Rentvester Well-Known Member

Not crazy at all, SOP, I have seen my ex-boss (cafe) based in a shopping centre go bust from that.

That's how they get profits for landlords/shareholders, squeeze the tenant, and make profit/value through:
    1. mandatory renovation
    2. High rent increase
    Once tenant moves out, find another sucker to move in.

I am in a good position, but will be moving out and most likely be building/buying my own unit in 4.5 years.

gman65 likes this.
  12. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Just wrote today to my local Labor MB asking about this. Let's see what he replies back with but i'm pretty sure it will be a lot of fluff with no actual substance to fix anything...

13. Robert Chatsworth

Good work. I would encourage others to do the same. As I say, if we can't get inflation under control, our housing bubble is at risk. And I' sure now one wants the see the bubble burst.

Here is the list of donations for last FY:

Screen-Shot-2022-02-01-at-12.29.17-pm.png

gman65 and paulF like this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

15. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

upload_2022-6-9_8-27-46.png

US Inflation

Heinz57 and paulF like this.
  16. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

KJA182, Dmash and paulF like this.
  17. virhlpool

virhlpool Well-Known Member

It seems it has started going down? Does it mean fed will top increasing rates or at least reduce the quantum of future increases?

18. JTF

JTF Well-Known Member

Official inflation numbers come out tomorrow for the US, not today.
    That graph must maybe be consensus or forecast?

19. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

Look at STRAYA

upload_2022-6-9_12-50-48.png

upload_2022-6-9_12-49-22.png

upload_2022-6-9_12-59-5.png

Redwing and KJA182 like this.
  20. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

FED is going for QT, and it has not even started yet or maybe just,
    Its multiple adjustment time, across asset, across countries

RBA has stated it will QT next year aka TFF rollback (not sure when they will QT those $350bn bond issuance on thier balance sheet)
    Banks need to raise 400/500bn in 2023/24
    Many here assume RBA will immediately start cutting in early 2023,
    even if does, without QE/TFF cash-rate will be mere show pony.
    In absence of QE/TFF, banks will be at the mercy of bond markets.

If what bond rate telling us has legs, banks share price are in for a ride, so does Mortgage rates.

Last edited: 9th Jun, 2022