Industrial Zoning with residential tenant investment

Discussion in 'Commercial Property' started by Suzi D, 13th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Suzi D

Suzi D New Member

Hi there,
    I am looking at an investment property and would love some advise. The property is industrial 3, and has two tenants, one commercial and the other residential with a care takers permit.
    Firstly, I’m not sure how difficult the care takers permit is to get if/when the tenant moves on, and I’ll need to reapply. Has anyone had experience with this ?
    Secondly, I’m thinking the property would lend itself to the commercial 3 zoning (its surrounded by residential and is a small complex), which is much more lenient with mix of comm and res.
    Has anyone had experience with c3z?
    And how difficult is it to rezone?
    Thanks

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Which way is the area going? ie are the houses new or the industrial usage? When was the zoning introduced (when was the LEP gazetted & what were the changes to the zoning)? - Refer pg 32 https://www.pc.gov.au/research/completed/vic-commercial-zoning/vic-commercial-zoning.pdf

It won't require rezoning for commercial usage, it encourages the usage within the zone. It is trying to limit the impact of residential occupancies on employment lands.

3. Suzi D

Suzi D New Member

Hi Scott No Mates,
    The area is definitely more residential than commercial. I am concerned the care takers permit is going to be difficult to get again, once the current one runs out, and that's currently half of the rental return. C3Z does not require a permit for a % of residential on the property and appears to be much more flexible. But not sure how difficult it will be to rezone.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A spot rezoning requires a town planner and would be unlikely if the zone has recently been changed to C3Z to encourage business usage.