Indigenous Incarceration in Australia

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by geoffw, 1st Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

it will always be too hard because many Aboriginals have lost their history and culture , think of them as any child brought up to know they are an orphan or adopted , that is a huge emotional hurdle to start life with .. no sense of place or belonging

money works just as well stopping Covid

i suppose as a compensation , we could always build their self confidence and build their self respect , but then they would feel equal to any judge , politician , police officer or multi-billionaire , could our current society cope with that when it seems to be built on class warfare

2. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

We are just in one big loop. Poor conditions breed poor life choices, groups with a higher percentage of people making poor life choices face higher rates scrutiny. Those people then have fewer opportunities and lower standards of living.

I have no solution to this but it is obvious that more opportunities and education is the key. How this is delivered has to be in a way that the community is on board with.

I said many years ago to friends (it was not received well) that America celebrating a black president is racism and driving division. It is basically saying being black is a disability and the achievement of being in that position despite being black is extraordinarily. Sad reflection of that society.

We are no better in our progress, we are still seeing in black and white. The day that a high achievement of an aboriginal person is talked about as an achievement of an individual and not of a race is the day we are a truly progressive society

Lizzie and twisted strategies like this.
  3. twisted strategies

so does she have a hobby or a dream , she needs to find the desire to go forward herself

but in saying that i have met the children of a similar woman ( but NOT Aboriginal ) and she apparently turned out to be a strict mum , basing her parenting on how to avoid those same poor choices for her children

BTW i have seen some terrible white mums as well often continuing that behaviour even as the children reach their teens

some people insist on learning the hard way , i have seen nothing that says one race is more prone than others .. in fact i used to breed dogs are have seen the same there , you have the instinctive mother who will nurture anything young and the other mother who will always reject the offspring at every opportunity ( luckily i owned BOTH mothers at the same time , or i would have been elbow deep in hand-raising the pups )

but good luck with your troubled lady

Stoffo and Lizzie like this.
  4. twisted strategies

absolutely

my only problems have ever been with part-Aboriginals , and it seems they want to prove they fit in to one culture or another instead of embracing the best of each heritage .

5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

What is incredibly sad is that aboriginal programs, that are effective is breaking the cycle, are often being defunded ... just like domestic abuse shelters and helpline are struggling to attract renewed government funding

Cia likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.