Index history

Discussion in 'Sharemarket News & Market Analysis' started by Silverson, 27th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

Evening fellow propertychatters!

Is there anywhere, or has anyone got historical data of the top 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 companies from say 1920, 1950 etc?

Thanks in advance.

2. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

3. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

For Oz?

Yes I have seen something on this, top 10 constituents each decade from the 1950s or so. Bear in mind that prior to mid 1980s I think, there was no ASX, each state had its own exchange so the list is compiled from all of them (highest caps). I can’t recall the name of the paper, I’ll have a look, @Nodrog has a better filing system than I do, he will remember I am sure.

4. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Probably one of Ashley Owen’s articles. Not history that’s important to me so didn’t take much note of the article.

Curious why OP is interested in this. Of more importance I thought is knowing the history of events that impacted the sharemarket over the years. For example this attached report from Owen is quite a good summary of Aussie Sharemarket history. All interesting stuff but most important is to have a plan you can stick to when panic and eurphoria occurs as it will again as sure as night follows day.

Attached Files:

Anne11 and Silverson like this.
  5. The Falcon

Not it, good one though. I’ll search.

6. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Last edited: 28th Aug, 2018
    Redwing, Gockie, Anne11 and 3 others like this.
  7. The Falcon

Got it! From Neville Hathaway way back in 2004. File attached.

Attached Files:

Redwing, sharon, Anne11 and 4 others like this.
  8. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

Evening and apologies for delayed response.
    Firstly @Nodrog and @The Falcon thank you so much for posting those links.
    The fear and greed index I have read over and over, I love it and to be totally honest it was what changed the way I look at stocks. I was after an index history purely for personal research and development.
    I'm looking to ramp up my share purchases in the near future and also wanting to use a small amount of leverage to help kick things along so basically wanted to get a glimpse of the companies that have stood the test of time.
    Along with the continual LICs and ETFs additions I would like to continue to purchase direct stocks to hold and never sell, I know past performance isn't an indicator of future and all that jazz but in my opinion, definitely worth a read. A great one at that, thanks again for those links!

Realist35 and Nodrog like this.