Independent financial planner recommendations

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by Rhiannan, 24th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rhiannan

Rhiannan Member

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a Sydney (South-West Sydney preferably) based financial planner or advisor who is non-aligned i.e. not controlled by a bank? From what I'm reading it seems only 10-15% or so of financial planners/advisors are truly independent. Particularly when there are reports of the banks financial advisors were not operating in best interests of customers in 75% of cases, I'm searching for an independent advisor!

Thanks!
    Rhiannan

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

How much do you have to invest and how much are you willing to pay?

3. Rhiannan

Rhiannan Member

Would it matter how much there is to invest? I am simply looking to anaylse my current financial situation and looking at my options for the future i.e. investments, potential for future business venture, planning for retirement etc. I'm unsure of the fees of financial advisors so wouldn't discount enquiring with any business at this stage until I get more of an idea of fees and fee structure.

Clooney and Xenia like this.
  4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Thing is the planner has to eat too. Also how much you have to invest changes what you can invest in. 10k isnt going to get you a property.

5. Rhiannan

Rhiannan Member

Yep, I'm well aware. My question is simply if there are any recommendations of independent financial planners/advisors.

6. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Hiya

What would you like advise on ?

general financial product based advice or a holistic client centric approach ?

ta
    rolf

7. Rhiannan

Rhiannan Member

Hi Rolf,

Am looking for client-centric approach preferably!

8. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

What does that mean?

9. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Hi Rhiannan

I know a brilliant financial planner who is client centric. The only thing is that she is Adelaide based but will take things from your level and help to create a saving plan if you don’t have enough.

Last edited by a moderator: 27th Feb, 2018
  10. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

They are more interested in making money for their client as opposed to off their client?

11. Peppas

Peppas Well-Known Member

I have one that my partner and I have been meaning to return a fact find form back to. Full disclosure he is a mate of mine but I've had many a conversation with him regarding money stuff and he seems reasonable, and independent. My partner was the one that wanted to meet with him and requested the fact find form to possibly get him to help us out (I was happy to continue on as per normal ha). He is Wollongong based but often comes up to Sydney to meet with clients, and has an office in Liverpool. Shoot me a PM if you want his details.

12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Your desire for a independently OWNED financial advice means a member of the AIOFP may be ideal...Australian Independently owned financial planners. Many people ask for that now

Merely being independently owned however doesnt mean independent advice. Many FP groups are franchised or are licensed by a dealer group. An alternative is a FP who has their own license and deals in direct investments rather than managed funds often from a parent group etc (eg CBA / Colonial Mutual) . Sure in many groups each office may be independently owned but they have a approved product list and advice that may be based on dealer license policies and rules.

Some FPs offer a 1hr free consult which is a great way to explore if their advisers fit the bill.

Last edited by a moderator: 27th Feb, 2018
  13. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Please note my post was edited by a unlicensed person... what did it say. Censored.

It mentioned free advice. Ironic really. Who offers 1hr free advice? Not allowed to say.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF