Increasing rent - self managing

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Jasper, 23rd Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Jasper

Jasper Well-Known Member

I am self-managing my rental. I've kept the rent the same for 2.5 years. I would like to know your tips for increasing the rent. I feel nervous about doing so, as they are good tenants and I don't want to lose them. But I feel I could get more for the rent now based on recent rental advertisements.

Thank you.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

In the past I have found comparables and sent the tenants these to show how I came to the new rent figure. For good tenants I tend to not push too high and have been happy to be slightly under rather than risk them looking for what else then can get.

When I pick comparables I make sure I don't tempt them into moving. Pick well to showcase your property by showing houses worse than yours for similar money or look for recently rented houses.

They may look themselves but in my experience, if you are a good landlord and not asking too much they will stay rather than go through a move.

KayTea, Gypsyblood, Gockie and 4 others like this.
  3. Jasper

Jasper Well-Known Member

Thanks Wylie. That's a good tip.

Realistically looking at what else is out there, I should be increasing by about $30-40 a week, but I feel that is too much of an increase: I want them to stay after all. I think I'll go with $20 to be on the safer side.

Should I send an email and a text message (this is how we normally communicate)?

Anything else I should think about? Do I state a reason for the increase? If so, what's the best "reason" to give?

Thanks

4. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Always a good idea to increase rents yearly, even if it is only $5 a week, that way it wont come as a shock - there are form letters that should be sent. Others currently working as PM's will be able to advise further.

Last edited: 24th Jun, 2017
  5. Jasper

Jasper Well-Known Member

I've found the Rent Increase form from the consumer affairs site and will use that.

Do landlords have opinions on what's worked best for them? Increasing rents yearly or ?

6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

By all means consider rental amount each lease renewal. Sometimes an increase will be justified, but at other times there may be heaps of cheaper properties available and an unwise increase may result in a good tenant leaving.

It's all a question of supply and demand. Clearly it is wise to be more conservative with a good tenant you hope will renew. A $10 a week increase is $520 a year, easily wiped out by 7-10 days vacancy between tenants, not including any PM charges for finding a new tenant.
    Marg

KayTea, flyhere and wylie like this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

No. Must be in writing (mail) & give appropriate notice - the fair trading website has form letters which you can use. Allow an additional 4 days for postage or 0 if hand delivered.

8. wylie

If you do use a form, I'd suggest a call or text saying there is an email coming (explaining the form). And make your email personal. If the rent could go up $30-40 then maybe increase it $20 to $25 and show comparables so they can see they won't do better elsewhere.

I wouldn't risk losing a tenant by pushing for an extra $15 a week even if the house is worth that. Whilst many tenants won't move rather than pay an extra $20, if you bump it up by $25 or $30 they might think "let's see what we can get for that extra $25". Once they start looking you risk they find something they like better or see something cheaper that they think they can compromise for.

It is a dance you both are doing. But losing a good tenant and having the hassle and expense of an empty house whilst you find a replacement is worth taking a little under market in my opinion.

legallyblonde and Joynz like this.
  9. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

10 a week increase is $520 a year, easily wiped out by 7-10 days double rent, not including any cleaning and moving charges.

legallyblonde likes this.
  10. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Not to mention the time it takes showing prospective tenants, writing new leases, exit report, preparing condition report.

IP is probably $30 under MV at the moment! Once I adjust for tax it isn't worth the hassle for $1000 p/a in my pocket.

11. Gypsyblood

Gypsyblood Well-Known Member

Isn't this just wrong on principle though? If your property is worth that rent, shouldn't you continue to increase it?

Having said that if my landlord did it gradually and gave a good reason each time (comparables, council and other costs, inflation? Maintenance, rate hikes) and was highly responsive to my issues I would accept the increases. If he did a major 25-30/wk in one fell swoop I would very likely move as either I won't be able to afford it or I might get a bit disgruntled at the percieved "unfairness" as I wouldn't have been used to any rises in the past

wylie and balwoges like this.
  12. wylie

I don't think it is wrong. It comes down to the individual situation of each property.

Pumpkin likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia