Increasing laundry storage - cabinet or shelf?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by aussieB, 27th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. aussieB

aussieB Well-Known Member

My tenant has asked if I might consider putting a shelf on the wall directly above the washing machine in the main bathroom where the laundry is - as there is not much storage for all laundry products etc.

My thoughts are :

I do agree there is a lack of space and something needs to be done. If I am paying someone to put in a shelf - might as well put in a cabinet? Though it will cost me more than a shelf - but it will at least provide more space, privacy and value to the tenant. However, if we ever get a tenant who has got a Washer Dryer stacked kind of setup (though a dryer in Darwin is very rare) then I will have to spend more money to accommodate such a setup. It looks like a collapsible shelf (if there is such a thing)/shelf that folds away - might be a better option?

What do you guys suggest I do? Any recommendations?

Some pics for an idea. There is about 4 feet of space between the top of the hook and the ceiling.

upload_2020-10-27_13-29-30.png

The wall on the left (behind which is a shower) has a little room and on the right (bathroom entrance door) ends about where the washing machine's front is
    upload_2020-10-27_13-41-5.png

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

luckyone, wylie, Marg4000 and 4 others like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Or a 600mm Ikea tube or solid shelf over the tub.

Alternatively a 450mm x 1800mm cupboard for brooms & a few shelves may for the trick if you have the floorspace.

aussieB likes this.
  4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Cabinet for sure. Ikea isnt in Darwin but a kaboodle cabinet from Bunnings is easy to hang with the right wall fasteners. The add doors. One trick to hanging a cabinet in a wet area like a laundry is a benefit for cabinets. The wall likely has ply behind the gyprock in a wet area. A fastener that has a heavy toggle is likely best used versus a screw type or a hollow wall anchor which wont work if there is ply lining.. Easy to check when drilling. Penetrate both and then tighten until toggle pulls tight. Remove screw and the reinstall to support cabinet framing. Tip : Dont use a power tool to finally tighten.

Ramset Super Wallmate Toggle Anchor - 10 Pack

aussieB and Momentum like this.
  5. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Yes put an overhead kitchen cabinet from Bunnings (kaboodle) above the trough screwed to the wall. I wouldn't put doors on it though, just leave it open for laundry

aussieB likes this.
  6. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Personally I love open shelves and dislike doors. Especially in a Laundry which is a private area, there should be no concern of privacy. I like to see things make it easily accessible.
    It doesn't look like a big place so you have have the whole length of shelves, or half and half. Also depends on what they intend to put in. Eating powder, iron, pegs?

As for dryer in case for next Tenants, c can they put it in the garage?

7. aussieB

aussieB Well-Known Member

No garage. Its got a car port.

8. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

We did put a cabinet (with doors) over the sink for our tenants. We made sure it looked good as well as be serviceable and see it as a value add. Dryers are standard where we are so it was an easy decision where to put it.

aussieB likes this.
  9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

We had a bland laundry. Exactly like the OP. Ripped it all out apart from floor..retile etc. 2 weekends and under $1200. Complete replacement old steel tub....here is what we did incl bench cabinets sink etc. Bench, lighting..ikea cabinets etc...sink and significant cabinet space.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UZH28v9wz4fX4BsP8

Last edited: 29th Oct, 2020
    craigc, aussieB, Perp and 1 other person like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia