Increase of steel and timber frames due to COVID

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by But Why?, 25th Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. But Why?

But Why? Member

Hi All

A friend is getting quotes for their renovation and mentioned to me that they were told the price of steel and timber frames have increased in price by 400% due to COVID.

Is this true/right?

Has anyone else heard the same?

I don't know where they got that information but I will be asking them when I chat with them next time.

Cheers
    B

2. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member Business Member

40%?

3. But Why?

But Why? Member

Good question... I'll ask if a typo as it was sent via whatsapp and they are based in Newcastle

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

In what timeframe? Have they been sitting on a quote for 6 months or did the builder revise the quote a week or two apart?

Redesign & build in brick and concrete.

5. But Why?

But Why? Member

They received quote 2 weeks ago and said "Our builders quote is not itemised - it has inclusions and then a final price. We haven't signed a contract yet so I'm not sure if the final quote will have a full breakdown."

6. But Why?

But Why? Member

I am on a zoom call with them later tonight so will try to get more info.

7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

To poeple who i know who are lic builders -- why would anyone sign --400% ..

But Why? likes this.
  8. But Why?

But Why? Member

I know right...

But even since March 2020 prices of frames wouldn't have increased that much would they?

9. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

H2 90x45 framing timber used to be around $3.00 plus per mtr...now $7.00 plus per mtr...

It's not due to covid its due to bushfires...some timber yards have no supply until jan 2022.

Stoffo and But Why? like this.
  10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Timber would comprise <10% of the costs in a project @Depreciator

Only a portion of the job would have increased not the whole project.

But Why? likes this.
  11. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

They have definitely increased. Overall the effect of increased timber or steel has probably increased construction about 15-20% overall depending on how much of each is in the house. In Perth it's easier to get covid than get a bricklayer so that has also increased construction prices. Roof sheeting is now in low supplies in Perth too.

The stimulus/grants using up suplly + worldwide shortages has increased the prices.

Stoffo and But Why? like this.
  12. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I was talking to one of our QSs yesterday who lives in Lennox Head and knows lots of builders up there - he was the QS on the big Hemsworth job.
    He mentioned that nobody up there can get timber LVLs. That is throwing a spanner in the works with lots of projects.
    Scott

But Why? likes this.
  13. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

My Neighbour works in Timber supply and he said they were early adopters of going interstate and buying everything they could and trucking it down. They saw the writing on the wall after the bushfires, not only in NSW but in the USA as well.

A lot of timber is getting shipped O/S due to the high price.

I work with steel products mostly out of China and our prices keep going up each month, sometimes twice a month and shipping prices have more than doubled in the last 8mths, along with shipping delays, some items are nearly 4mths late.

So glad we didn't win many jobs at the start of this year as all of our competition is really struggling with the price rises on current projects as Tier 1/2 builders have the contracts so far in their favor its impossible to change prices mid project even if the project hasn't started.

But Why? likes this.
  14. Hamish Blair

Hamish Blair Well-Known Member

Good luck actually getting timber! At my work we have lots of building projects and my builder has been waiting 3 months for delivery of a pack of timber to build some walls. And yes the price has skyrocketed. US market is booming which is also soaking up supply, along with the impact of bushfires.

But Why? likes this.