VIC Increase in Safety & Compliance Obligations in Victoria

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by SydneyInvestor, 29th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

I don't understand why they have time to recieve enquiries from real estate agents then.

2. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

because they are less annoying (easier to deal with) and have more clients. They just want to line up as many inspections in one day as possible, tick the boxes or if unticked that's better as means more work for them to do.

These new rules for me seem more an electrician and plumber stimulus program (I think they do pretty well already).

Speaking to my long term electrician and plumber they won't do this work unless for their regulars (not interesting nor high paying job) The aggregators will do it with them taking a big a cut and the not so busy electrician/plumbers will do it

The electricians with these aggregators will be same electricians from those dropped off flyers to replace LED light bubs when the government had those subsidies in

3. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

So it is not really about enuring tenants have a safe place to reside in?

4. Joseph Sobota

Joseph Sobota New Member

Has anyone had dealings with Taskforce Australia? They quote $415 to have electricity and gas compliance done.

5. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

Transition to new renting laws
    "All of the new rental laws will apply to renters who:
    enter a new fixed term rental agreement on or after 29 March 2021, or
    roll over from a fixed term rental agreement to a periodic rental agreement on or after 29 March 2021.

"The only exception is for any fixed term rental agreement of less than 5 years that rolls over to a periodic agreement on or after 29 March 2021. In that circumstance, the requirements related to professional cleaning and safety related activities under Section 27C do not apply".

So the inspections seem not to be required for existing fixed term leases until a new fixed term lease is signed. If the current fixed term lease is rolled over into periodic agreement then no inspection is needed. Keep the fixed term tenants after the lease ends, perhaps increase the rent, and have no new lease; no inspection needed.

Waiting until the new rules settle in and prices stabilise seems good.

Detector inspector charge $325/year plus a top-up fee of $235 for the first year for one gas appliance and electrics. Smarthouse only deal with REAs, and it seems that the price varies between REAs, properties or both.

craigc likes this.
  6. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

Some older blocks of flats have a communal HWS. Does this fall within the new rules?

7. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Oh thanks for this - so if existing lease has already reverted to periodic then no need for the immediate inspection costs until a new fixed lease is signed.
    Reading the docs attached seems to confirm this.

8. McBrain

McBrain Member

I've been reading through the consumer.vic info as I was struggling to understand.

I have two lots of tenants on month to month. Both were already on month-to-month (periodic) prior to 29th March. So no need until a new lease is signed according to this:
    (underline is mine)

Renters who are in an existing rental agreement before 29 March 2021
    Some of the new rental laws which came into effect on 29 March 2021 will not apply to renters who are already in a fixed term or periodic rental agreement before that date. A list of the changes that will not apply to existing rental agreements are outlined on this page.

Renters who enter a new rental agreement on or after 29 March 2021
    All of the new rental laws will apply to renters who:

• enter a new fixed term rental agreement on or after 29 March 2021, or
    • roll over from a fixed term rental agreement to a periodic rental agreement on or after 29 March 2021.

9. 32483

32483 Member

Hey all,

I am a local electrician working in this area, I wanted to give a input with a electrical point of view. The purpose of this new electrical audits is because of the very serious risk of electrical faults that do occur in homes that are not adequately tested and upgraded from situations like fire or even death due to no safety devices in the switchboard.

The electrical audit is to make sure every home has a hardwired smoke alarm, safety devices (RCBOs) on all outlets & lighting circuits, any damaged or faulty appliances & outelts and also making sure the cablinh within the house is safe.

I have had many questions over why do we have to do this, but truthfully if the house catches on fire or death you would have rather done this then that.

10. Barcelona

Barcelona Well-Known Member

I don't understand why prices are so high. I found a great gasfitter who did ours for $200 each and electrician who did them for $170.

Last edited by a moderator: 9th May, 2021
  11. 32483

32483 Member

It comes down to quality of work, we have our price set higher due to the amount of time we spend testing and checking everything through out the home and then providing quotes and information to the customer of their home.

I know we can never bet the price of everyone and I know the standard and quality of our works that we carry out, our clients have always been happy with the level of quality we provide, so for us to lower our price would sacrifice that and thats not something we want to do.

Last edited by a moderator: 10th May, 2021
  12. Barcelona

Barcelona Well-Known Member

There is a series of tests to be carried out. A checklist for them to tick off.. sorry but your insinuation that because someone charges less they do a lesser job is silly. I was present with the gasfitter. He was communicative, thorough and often pointed out issues to me. I have referred him to family friends and relatives with IPs, all of whom were extremely happy with his service. Paperwork done the same day.

13. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

To the point of you "explaining" why this is necessary, everything you said can be fixed with ONE OFF audit.
    Nothing you mentioned should be different after 2 years, unless THE RENTER mess up with things they shouldn't.

I can die from fire or electrocution if I mess with my own home, yet - the state doesn't require me to audit my house every 2 years.

It's all good - you have vested interest in those new rules. Not surprising you can explain why they are so important.

Barcelona likes this.
  14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

With gas, connections can wear out. A one-off audit isn’t enough.

Don’t forget that 2 kids died in Melbourne due to a faulty gas heater.

15. 32483

32483 Member

I have only came on here to share advice for someone within the trade and with professional experience within the topic.

If your belief is that all trades do the same job just some are cheaper, then that is something I would advise you look more into.

I also need to preference that is isn't just a tick box system there are several tests that need to be carried out throughout the home including insulation resistance testing, fault loop testing, continuity testing and the test of every appliance, outlet and light fitting these tests do take some time depending on the size of home.

I hope this can help in some way,

Joynz likes this.
  16. 32483

32483 Member

The audits are bi-annual and yes any problems should be rectified within that first year but you still have to under go the same amount of testing every 2 years that is not something electricians control but something energy safe Victoria have put out and as the electrician you have to under take these tests every time.

17. skyfall

skyfall Well-Known Member

Hi Samantha are the costs you've negotiated for less than $800 with Smarthouse or Detector Inspector? Are you able to share the approximate amount for the 3 checks to be done bi-annual.

18. skyfall

Here is a link, I think I'll give them a go for $415+GST, much cheaper than Smarthouse who charge $780 for the same thing.

Taskforce - Taskforce - Systematic property maintenance, warranty and installation process

Electrical Gas and Smoke Alarm $499+gst
    Electrical Gas no Smoke $415+gst
    Electrical and Smoke Alarm $399+gst
    Gas and Smoke Alarm $399+gst
    Electrical no Smoke $315+gst
    Gas no Smoke $315+gst
    Smoke Alarm $85+gst

Last edited: 29th Apr, 2021
  19. skyfall

Smarthouse are offering the following (inc GST):
    $99 smoke alarm check (every year)
    $295.90 electrical safety service (every 2 years)
    $383.90 gas safety service (every 2 years)

This adds up to $778.80 every 2 years to get the 3 items attended to, and $99 every alternate year to get just the smoke detector checked.

20. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

So one event (or very few events) mandate a blanket 2-year audit?
    I think it's over the top.

If gas wears out so bad, why there's no such requirement for PPoR?
    Nor have the same requirement in other states?

I'm not buying this.

qak likes this.