In Sydney, less than 50% of properties will be owner occupied in the future..

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Gockie, 20th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sash

sash Well-Known Member

As for immigrants being on welfare that would be mostly refugees...but over the longer term it is shown they integrate. Again a few crazies should not taint the larger group.

Last edited by a moderator: 15th Aug, 2017
    ollidrac nosaj likes this.
  2. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

3. sash

sash Well-Known Member

4. Bayview

That is trying to deflect the argument away from the actual issue

You could apply that to philosophy to anything - only a small percentage of drivers don't wear seatbelts and only a small percent of drivers speed excessively....so let's make everyone wear them, and let's impose speed restrictions on everyone and place revenue camera everywhere......or;

only a small percentage of toddlers drown in swimming pools; so let's make everyone put up pool fences

Why not simply address the issue head on?

The issue is what the stats for that group are. If the vast majority are not contributing - as per what the stats show - why have them?

5. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Here's my agenda - more immigration till I'm cashflow positive after P&I please.

6. Bayview

Aggressive debt reduction, plus reinvesting all the tax returns back into the Loan/Redraw/Offset will get you there faster.

7. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I say lets go back to feudalism...the serf who oppose the feudal lords off with their heads....:)

You seem to bring this up a lot.........me thinks ....you have issues.

Here is a thought....."Love a Multicultural Australia or Leave".....perhaps America under Trump?

8. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Over the history of Sydney Town what has been the home ownership median, perhaps it is only reverting back to its mean?

9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I thought it was always relatively high in the over last 50 odd years and only recently did it dramatically decrease.

10. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Yes,but Sydney is nearly 230 years old, what were the ownership rates before WW1 or between the WW's or in the decade following the end of WW2

The last 50 years is only around 2 generations, perhaps memory bias plays a part.

11. ollidrac nosaj

ollidrac nosaj Well-Known Member

WattleIdo likes this.
  12. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member

The first Australian census was held in 1911, showing home ownership in Sydney at about 51% (just looking at a graph.) It rises steadily to about 72% in 1961, then plateaus to today.

I teach history, basics of post WWII saw the dream of a home become a reality. A lot of pple got land. But 1/4 owner built, that is why here in Sydney so many homes are so awful with no insulation and built of asbestos with huge gaps.

I teach federation Australia/Sydney as well, which is before any census, but from 1788 - 1911 life was pretty grim for the vast majority of Sydney residents. Life expectancy was short. 1 in 5 children in Sydney were illegitimate which resulted in them often being raped/exploited/sold. But let's not forget the lovely Esther, former sex worker, first fleet woman and wife of James, who for a short time there (6mth) after the rum rebellion was first lady of the colony of Sydney, when her hubs instated a military coup amidst his racketeering in rum!

turk and ollidrac nosaj like this.
  13. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Back to the thread name....
    6lXPp0N.jpg

hammer and Bayview like this.