In slab tanks

Discussion in 'Development' started by Lizzie, 29th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Hi Guys

Narrow block to tank would be highly visible - near the ocean so have to go poly - poly tanks are goddamn ugly - building on a 500mm drop edged slab so thinking about in slab tanks (would have to backfill anyhow)

Has anyone used them? Approximate cost? What brand/company did you use? Suggestions?

I've emailed these guys for some answers ... http://texo.net.au/docs/aquacomb-brochure.pdf

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Great idea, I looked at using a bladder-type solution in a similar way on a split level site a few years ago.

Another alternative are modules which form the planter boxes or retaining walls.

Sorry, no linkies. :(

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Any chance you're going to build a raised deck? That's where I'd hide a bladder or tank rather than under a concrete slab as access will be difficult if there are any issues.

How close are you to the coast? If you don't need ultrabond for your roof then you should be right with a standard colorbond slimline rainwater tank.

Alternatively you could consider putting it under your driveway if you want it hidden but still somewhat accessible. eg Urban LU3000 Tank Package | The Water Tank Factory

vbplease and JohnPropChat like this.
  5. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I agree and would avoid a tank under a slab..
    Current Aus Standard for residential slabs/footings says to avoid a water supply pipe under a slab, and if unavoidable then put it in a conduit to contain any leak. I know this not a water supply, but the same principal applies. A leak to the tank will be uncontained and has a pretty good chance of condemning your house

6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Looking at all options - from my calcs, we'll need minimum 7,000 litres to pass Basix which does make it beyond an under deck bladder capacity. And personally I'd like around 10,000

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I love that idea of under slab tanks, but once buried, could be problematic if there is ever an issue. I've seen that on Grand Designs (not Australia).

I also like the other one you linked to, narrow enough to tuck under an eave and on the right house, could be quite a statement as an external wall somewhere.

Do you recall the Grand Designs where the house walls were water tanks? You could be loud and proud with your tanks, or hide them within the lower level walls. They'd take up a lot of room though.

Scott No Mates and Lizzie like this.
  8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Most BASIX tanks are installed beside the dwelling visible (often ugly and behind side fence) or underground or even under a driveway and are tall & narrow or flat depending on site. The trench wont be hard compacted so makes a unstable item under a slab I would think. Ours went under driveway (concrete pad and pavers) to avoid pergola, pool and other risks. Had no idea we had one until the supervisor told me after handover - proud we wouldnt hit it if we installed a pool or a new clothesline etc. Neigbours is under their front lawn prob 250mm deep. One went to landcape and cut in and I mentioned it and yep it was on the site plan. Grateful !! They ended up doing a fill job to avoid a leak.

Ironic we have recycled water and tanks are now exempt but back then wasnt. Pretty useless as if it doesnt rain its useless and if it does it fills quick. If the pump fails I wont even bother.

Last edited: 29th Apr, 2020
    Lizzie likes this.
  9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I know I'm going to miss my 125,000 litre tank and septic biocycle ... but one moves into town and the government has you by the short and curlies.

A tank seems kinda pointless where were going as is on town water with a bore for the garden ... so it'll basically be a lot of expense to flush the loo

10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Do you have to put in a tank to get approval through?