In cooling off - Sydney - What would you do?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by squarepeg, 24th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. squarepeg

    squarepeg Member

    Joined:
    4th Jun, 2018
    Posts:
    14
    Location:
    NSW
    I have been looking for a PPOR 2 bed unit for a long time and found one that I am currently in the cooling off period for. I made the offer for the place about 3 weeks ago.

    With everything going on at the moment with Coronavirus I have had several friends telling me to pull the plug and forfeit the 0.25% due to forecasted drops.

    So, what would you do? I am currently renting and in a stable long-term job so should be ok on that front.
     
  2. Paul@PFI

    [email protected] Tax Accounting + SMSF Business Plus Member

    Joined:
    18th Jun, 2015
    Posts:
    15,124
    Location:
    Sydney
    You face missing it and losing the deposit and struggling to find another or maybe you buy another cheaper. Who knows.
     
  3. Terry_w

    Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Plus Member

    Joined:
    9th Jun, 2006
    Posts:
    30,840
    Location:
    Australia wide
    what's the worry?

    do you think you might lose your job, or values will drop?
     
  4. squarepeg

    squarepeg Member

    Joined:
    4th Jun, 2018
    Posts:
    14
    Location:
    NSW
    Values dropping. Talk of 25% drops has made me very uneasy going ahead with it.
     
  5. Terry_w

    Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Plus Member

    Joined:
    9th Jun, 2006
    Posts:
    30,840
    Location:
    Australia wide
    No one knows for sure, but there is a real possibility of values dropping - people are starting to hold back on purchasing for sure.

    If you pull out you might lose some money, but you can always buy another property in the future - assuming you can service etc.
     
  6. twobobsworth

    twobobsworth Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    18th Jun, 2015
    Posts:
    723
    Location:
    Sydney, New South Wales
    If in cooling why not offer 10% less or pull the plug. You'll probably spending another 10-15% in rent for the next 12 months while you um and ah of when to buy next.
     
    Last edited: 24th Mar, 2020
  7. matt_j

    matt_j Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    2nd Feb, 2020
    Posts:
    63
    Location:
    Sydney
    Pull out