Improving Ground Cover

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by alexm, 1st Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Can anyone suggest a low maintenance method to reduce (or eliminate) weeds and grass growing through this garden section? Currently there is mulch however i'd be happy to remove this and replace it with something more appropriate to reduce garden maintenance.

Thanks
    Al

Attached Files:

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Pull out the weeds or use round up and poison them. Then top up the mulch, put a good 100mm on top. But make sure the mulch or bark chip is better doesn't have a lot of dirt or fine material as this just acts like diets and let's weeds grow on the fresh layer.

3. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Will take a bit of time for full coverage but you could go with a low maint succulent ground cover plant that suppresses weeds, flowers occasionally, looks tidy etc.
    Have a chat to local nurseries re what's suitable in your area, soil type, conditions etc

Once established that's it apart from trimming the edges back once or twice a year, depending on type you may need to bury some cheap edging to stop it growing through the lawn, something like this
    http://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-outdoor-150mm-x-6m-green-corrugated-continuous-lawn-edge-_p3321034

4. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

Thank you for the suggestions. We'll definitely explore both options.

5. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

My African daisies act as ground cover and they grow fast and choke weeds.

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Really thick mulch or stones/gravel or a plant ground cover like native violets etc

7. magpieseason

magpieseason Well-Known Member

Is the mulch pine chip? Decaying pine can attract termites. Consider replacing with pea straw mulch which improves the soil and alot cheaper than beautiful mulch.

I really couldn't live without a 5 litre pressureised container and some @roundup or @zero weedkiller ( bunnings under $30 for sprayer and roundup).

Spray every few months is low maintenance in my book.

Try to get a carpet going with native violet or dichondra repens aka kidney weed (can be invasive in some climates apparently, good in sydney though ).

Last edited: 3rd Nov, 2015