Improving Backyard lawn

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by iwantahouse, 15th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. iwantahouse

iwantahouse Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

Just moved to our "new" house last weekend.

I'm calling the lawn-garden experts for these questions:

What type of grass do we have in the picture?

What type of weed is the one you see in the picture? How do I start improving my lawn? I don't want to spend money in things I don't need/work so I hope for some guidance.

What is the yellow/dead grass you see in the pic? It is weed too?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Never giveup likes this.
  2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Its not buffalo grass - Weed and feed it. Generally W&F comes in two types Buffalo and non-buffalo to avoid killing buffalo with standard w&f. Take pic into Bunnings and find the old dude in the aisle who will help. Plan around any water restrictions / rain

Once you have weeds under control with w&f as a selective weed killer smack it with lawn fertiliser before / during rain and they wont return. The good grass will choke the weeds out and get green and thicker...subject to drought conditions.

iwantahouse likes this.
  3. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    You can either bite the bullet and re-turf, or take the long road. The long road is cheaper, but will take at least 2 springs/summers to pay off properly You'll get good initial results if you follow the steps below, but lawn needs lots of work to get into tip top shape

1. Spray the entire lawn with weed killer. Not weed and feed. The stuff is not especially effective. As @Paul@PFI has pointed out, there are Buffalo and non Buffalo weed killers. Do as he suggested-take a few photo's and visit Bunnings. But don't buy weed n feed. Get a product that doesn't try to be two things. Yates makes a dedicated weed killer only . Spray the lawn . Spray it again in 2 weeks.

2. Aerate the lawn . With a coring machine, not with a pitchfork or aerating sandals. Guys like this will charge you around 100 bucks typically . Lawn Aeration Service | Grass Aeration - Oz Aeration

3. Fertlise, water . Use good slow release fertliser - again, there are Buffalo and non Buffalo varieties. Scotts or Munns make good slow rel;ease fertilisers that are kid safe and pet safe ...

Repeat annually in Spring -Summer at a minimum

Depending on whether your soil has a lot of clay content, it may need gypsum from time to time. . Even if the soil is relatively good, spraying something like this onto your lawn every 2nd spring or so, is just good lawn management - Multicrop 2.8L Liquid Claybreaker RTU Soil Improver

Also well worth applying a soil wetter a couple of times a year.

Also well worth applying Seasol or Powerfeed or Liquid Compost or Blood n Bone periodically - especially because we have water restrictions and you cant rely on deep watering once or twice a week to feed the lawn

If you want to get really serious... there are plenty of excellent resources online

Broadleaf Weeds

LawnPride // Lawn Care Programs

The aussie homeowner’s guide to a lush green lawn - Scotts Australia

wylie, Never giveup and iwantahouse like this.
  4. magpieseason

magpieseason Well-Known Member

What type of grass do we have in the picture?
    Probably a type of Fescue and/or Perennial Rye .

What type of weed
    Maybe a cud weed. A weeding applicator wand from bunnings contains zero/roundup. Use it to touch any Broadleaf weeds in your lawn .

iwantahouse likes this.
  5. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

Thank you for starting this thread @iwantahouse - i am in same boat

6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

7. iwantahouse

unfortunately tea is not my cup of tea! :D

8. Curious2019

Curious2019 Well-Known Member

Hmm my lawn seems to be getting overtaken with weeds too.. any suggestions for these pictures? The weeds seem to be getting worse every time the lawn is cut and grows back.

Attached Files:

9. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

On a side note re: weed and feed. I've found it to give 'rust stains' to concrete or limestone if there is any over-spray

10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I didn't know weed killer was selective... I thought it killed the grass it came in contact with as well??

11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Broad leaf weed killers, as opposed to straight herbicides, are selective in killing many species which aren't lawn.

There's a lot of information around - for instance Broadleaf weed control | The Lawncare Man

12. The Y-man

Forget the lawn - just enjoy harvesting and eating what you have :D. You have a type of a type of dandelion/sow thistle and very closely related to the ancestors of the common lettuce (same order, family and tribe). If you break the leaves you should see a white milky sap come out (if you have ever grown cos lettuce and they have bolted you will know the similarity).

It's a bit bitter compared to lettuce so either use a stronger dressing and let it soak a bit (it won't go soggy like normal lettuce) or use it in cooking (plenty of recipes around for dandelion and sowthistle).

Just make sure someone hasn't sprayed it with herbicide!!

The Y-man

Curious2019 likes this.
  13. iwantahouse

Hi guys, thanks for your responses,

This is the grass that is growing along the edge of my front lawn, what kind of grass it is?

Attached Files:

14. The Y-man

Kikuyu - excellent drought resistance, very tough hockey field stuff.
    I've cultivated it for our front dust bowl - I love it.
    Only thing is they will invade flower beds and event climb shrubs.

The Y-man

15. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I always thought that was cooch grass - I thought kikuyu had thinner runners?

16. iwantahouse

Thanks, do you know if I can use round up for that Kikuyu in my garden bed? Using as spot application?

17. The Y-man

They are multi-****** and spread underground as well, so the only way is to dig them out I think.....

Just be careful that roundup may be a carcinogen (cancer causing)
    RACGP - Exploring the issue of Roundup and cancer risk
    Exposure to glyphosate-based herbicides and risk for non-Hodgkin lymphoma: A meta-analysis and supporting evidence - ScienceDirect

and can stay in the soils for longer than originally thought.

The Y-man

iwantahouse likes this.
  18. The Y-man

You could be right - I was checking some photos on Google :p I like the thicker stuff. The thin stuff dies right back in winter and is not as effective a ground cover.

The Y-man

iwantahouse likes this.
  19. Silverghost

Silverghost Well-Known Member

Avoids scalping the lawn if you are inclined to do that. Many people mow their lawn that way and it just weakens the lawn and encourages weeds.

20. iwantahouse

Thanks, I'm trying to get the grass long and then cut it just a bit to encourage strength.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.