Implications of unapproved structural renovations?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by jaybean, 3rd Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

So I want to do something really simple: add a relatively small external window. My structural engineer says it takes forever to go through council (esp. with so many renovations taking place right now) so what his clients usually do is perform the work then apply after. He said with this sort of small stuff he's never seen it rejected in his whole career. I've used him before and I trust him on this, however I'm not worried about it being rejected by the council. I'm thinking about what other repercussions there might be. For example if the building were to burn down, would insurance look at the unapproved works and say; sorry this renders your policy invalid?

Or is there anything else to consider? He seemed so confident about it but it doesn't feel right to me.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia