NSW Impact of rising sea levels from climate change on coastal capital cities?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by dofdaus, 19th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Just one thing to note, it isn't just sea level rises that present a risk, the frequency and height of waves will also change, bringing damage to coastlines under a high emissions scenario. Does this mean that people should not invest in bayside suburbs and coastal regions? Of course not, but proper risk assessment and management is required.

Robustness and uncertainties in global multivariate wind-wave climate projections | Nature Climate Change

2. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The effect of rising sea levels will be

I think at least one seaside council in Victoria has been trying to control development in areas they consider at risk from sea level rise - can’t recall which.
    Did you read the terms and conditions? - lots of warnings about these not being forecasts, not to be relied on etc...

gman65 likes this.
  4. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Standard contract I'd say, "all care but no responsibility".

5. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Yes, but this was before many of the current measures were put in place.. some after the 1890's floods, and more recently Wivenhoe. Before that, Brisbane was essentially a flood plane. So I don't think that sort of flood is likely as it was pre or early settlement.

Brisbane I don't think is too much different to anywhere else in Australia that will be affected by extreme weather events. There just will be different ones. Sydney got a tornado, there are big bushfires in Victoria. The list goes on.

Biggest risk will be on coastal areas as sea levels rise, and this effects all of Australia. Once the Greenland ice-sheet near disappears, and the arctic too, look out. These sorts of things have a positive feedback loop, so the effects may happen quicker than expected. I kind of expect towards the end of my life I'll see the effect of this, most of our politicians, etc will be gone by then, and sadly fail to see the outcome of their failures.

Greenland Ice Sheet Today | Surface Melt Data presented by NSIDC

Personally I think there will be a few more floods in Brisbane over the next 20 years and eventually people will start to wise up this may be a permanent fixture.. There will be long dry periods, followed by short extreme wet events. The Wivenhoe thing from the last floods won't be a "one off" like people are just assuming because the Government told them so. People have "forgotten" about the last flood way too early..

Last edited: 21st Aug, 2019
  6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Quote..
    The Wivenhoe thing from the last floods won't be a "one off" like people are just assuming because the Government told them so. People have "forgotten" about the last flood way too early..

Not everyone,as there is no shortage of players looking to capitalise ..

Queensland 2011 Floods Class Action | Maurice Blackburn

I was talking to a Farmer in UKI Nth NSW yesterday and this gentleman and his family have been there from early in the 1900's when their great grand father took up the land offer after being gassed and shoot in the first world war --and next to a property i have a interest in ,and even he who was against climate change the last time we talked about the theorised environmental issues in the Arctic region now thinks it's real..

Last edited: 23rd Aug, 2019
    gman65 likes this.
  7. Smee

Smee Well-Known Member

Hey, if it's true re Antarctica growing, then sea levels may decrease. Also, Brisbane floods are from heavy and long rains. If Climate Change theories are true, then there will be less rain and then no floods. Buying in Brisbane is a Win/Win.

8. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Global mean sea level rise is projected to increase from between 26-55 cm under low emissions scenarios to 45-86 cm under high emissions scenarios by 2080-2100. Past 2100, sea levels will continue to rise, and could increase by between 1 to 3 meters, depending on future global emission levels.

9. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

While there has been a slight increase in Antarctic ice, this has been more than offset by a decrease in the amount of ice in the Arctic, Greenland and Iceland.

Six things to know about Antarctic ice | Carbon Brief

Insurance companies are starting to assess the future risks of natural disasters caused by climate change.
    Report calls for national coordinated approach to combat devastating impact of climate change

How the spread of insurance red zones could trigger a property crunch

The last link provides a good view as to locations and future insurability, something it may well be worthwhile to investigate when deciding where to buy

Last edited: 14th Jan, 2020
  10. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

I think its important to note that a decrease or increase in sea ice really has no bearing on levels but LAND ice is what's important, melting of land ice will increase sea levels.

Of course when it comes to sea ice there is thermal expansion, but most experts believe this wont have near as much of an effect.

11. Smee

Smee Well-Known Member

Hi, My post was an IF statement from both angles as there is a wealth of information on both sides of the dispute. Just wanted to show that it should be fine to buy in Brisbane. Also, I'm from Iceland, so am very interested to know what part of Iceland is melting.

12. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

As we spend more time looking at and researching all sorts of things we get better at it, and in turn we develop tools to assist and we share these learnings and our knowledge base grows (for those that bother to read them)

It would seem a lot of people out there don't realize or care about rising sea levels
    During my last trip to Ballina nsw there was a king tide, the sea water was coming up thru the drainage system covering various road area's and people were just driving through without a care in the world:eek: (note to self, never buy a used car from Ballina).

13. geoffw

My apologies, I should not have mentioned Iceland, it wasn't referenced in the report I linked.

Brisbane has parts which are fine, but other parts which could well have big problems.

14. geoffw

The expanding of Antarctic ice has been sea ice.

Arctic ice does include Greenland land ice, which is declining.

15. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

No - climate change theories predict more extreme weather events - which could include both drier droughts and greater floods.

Brisbane is just as likely to see repeats of the 2010-11 floods as they are to see extended periods of drought.

Angel likes this.
  16. Smee

Smee Well-Known Member

So there's more rain coming? Phew, I thought man had broken the water cycle.

17. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Thank God I bought a house on a hill ...:D

Smee likes this.
  18. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Assuming a typhoon doesn't result in a landslide.:)

Smee likes this.
  19. Smee

Smee Well-Known Member

I also bought a house on top of a hill in Brisbane. This was so that I could look down on others, but now have another reason. :)

balwoges likes this.
  20. Smee

Smee Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. Last time I looked, Iceland was all land (ok and some volcanic ash). To assist all future Brisbane property buyers, can you provide the source for you to make the statement that "other parts of which could well have a problem".

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia