NSW Impact of rising sea levels from climate change on coastal capital cities?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by dofdaus, 19th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dofdaus

dofdaus New Member

What is the impact of rising sea levels from climate change on coastal capital cities? Especially flood-prone Brisbane, is that why it never had a boom property market?

Last edited by a moderator: 20th Aug, 2019
  2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Have you ever been to Brisbane?

Poor economy in QLd these last ten or fifteen years has more to do with incompetent Labor governments and that bizarre experience with one never to be repeated Liberal govt.

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Parts of Brisbane do flood, but that is a result of a semi-tropical climate with occasional severe weather events, and a long and winding river with an extensive catchment area.

4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

The only impact is that Councils redraw their flood maps to have their ratepayers take action in relation to strength of foundations, floor levels etc for new builds or renovations, to cover themselves in the unlikely event of an occurrence. Insurance companies do the same, to raise premiums to cover the so-called risks.

Brisbane is no more flood prone than any other city AFAIK. Every city has known flood areas. If you want to build beside a river then you are going to get your feet wet from time to time. If you don't want that, then move to higher ground.
    Really, "never"? - don't be ridiculous. Brisbane has experienced many property booms over the last decades. Just like every other city - but it did seem to miss out on the last one experienced by Sydney & Melbourne. This is not uncommon.

MWI, Stoffo, Toon and 5 others like this.
  5. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Despite what the well meaning but willfully ignorant posters have replied, this is a serious concern. Have a look at this page for the areas you are interested in.

Coastal Risk Australia

Joynz, Propagate and Beelzebub like this.
  6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

If the residents of coastal cities are so concerned about rising sea levels, how come Bondi real estate is so expensive? And all the other suburbs along the coasts of Sydney and Melbourne. These properties along the Harbour and overlooking the Ocean are ridiculously nose-bleed-more expensive than any sensible suburbs out west, aren't they. Same can be said for Brighton and St Kilda and similar in Melbourne. Land near the Bay in Melbourne's middle south east is also nose-bleedingly expensive and flat as a tack. Go figure.

Serveman and Toon like this.
  7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

LibGS likes this.
  8. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

This will change, very soon. Suburbs don't have to sucumb to rising sea levels, just the public acknowledgment of this fact, then demand dries up, as it does when coastal erosion occurs. Expansive low lying cities like Brisbane will largely be wiped out in the coming centuries, but many of their suburbs well before that. More compact cities around the world will last a bit longer with massive engineering works.

Those that still think climate change is not an existential threat to millions of people and properties, even after all the evidence, well,

Robbo80, ART, gman65 and 2 others like this.
  9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

But most of Brisbane is hills. The majority of land is elevated and only about 10% is low-lying between the hills. Have you ever been to Brisbane, @Casteller ?

Toon, Marg4000, kierank and 1 other person like this.
  10. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Here's a quest.... Someone who believes that Brisbane is going to drown, please find the data that demonstrates how much the tidal flats at Sandgate or Brighton have been inundated in the last 60 years. All I know is that there are expanses of mudflats at low tide which are completely covered at high tide. Some council in their wisdom built a sea wall along the waterfront back before I was a kid. It used to be three steps up and it is still three steps up to the esplanade.

I just asked the historian. Mr Angel says that some beaches have three steps and others have five. They were built at different times. At Queens Beach on Saturday afternoon there were three steps and the sand was blowing up against them. If anything there is more sand at the moment. Give us a good king tide at the same time a

It's either erosion, my friends, or my Geology units aren't worth anything.

Last edited: 19th Aug, 2019
    Toon and Marg4000 like this.
  11. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

The sea has been trying to swallow Amsterdam and Venice for ever now. Yet it failed.

I would imagine Brisbane will be perfectly fine. It is likely to be the next Amsterdam. It’s not that hard to stop the sea advance.

12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I was really liking your post, @Noobieboy, until you suggested that Brisbane is likely to become the next Amsterdam. Geez, What the?

13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Brisbane flooded in 2011 due to human error - it was all about a rain depression following a drought and human emotion and water restrictions.

For those who still think that Brisbane floods due to inundation from the sea, you might want to work out how rain water ends up in a dam. It comes downstream from rain on the land. To create a flood, it has to be released on masse once the dam is full, instead of gradually before the dam gets anywhere near full.

Attached Files:

Toon, kierank and CowPat like this.
  14. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I have removed all of the political discussion from this thread.

This thread is not about climate change or climate change policies.

This thread is based on the question: IF sea levels DO rise (regardless of whether you believe they will or not), what will the likely impact be on coastal cities?

Any posts which try to make this thread about politics or ideology will be removed.

BunnyXiao and Marg4000 like this.
  15. jrc

jrc Well-Known Member

16. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

17. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Yes I lived there 5 years (St Lucia and Kangaroo Point). Many of the expensive suburbs in Brisbane are along the river and will eventually be in trouble, as will the airport and suburbs along the bay. Sydney airport and surrounds and northern beaches will also have problems with a couple of metres sea level rise.

But like I said it doesn't actually have to occur to affect property values, just when the general population sees that rises are accelerating and that a property may have a lifetime of less than 100 years. So in effect you're kind of buying a long term lease on low level properties.

18. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I collect old books from second hand outlets flea markets and boxes left on the street ,I have several 1000's one is about the early days when Brisbane was a convict settlement and one building the oldest surviving building in Queensland the Brisbane Observatory also known as the Windmill Tower and is on the QHR from 21 oct 1992..

As I can't find that book just now ,but there is a section within that book where when the Convicts Built the windmill ,one of the English Surveyors noted that not that far from the high section where they built the Windmill
    there was remains of a past flood still in the gumtrees not far down that hill as floods always leave marks in trees..
    So if you were to line up that level as i have in the now park a very high % would be under that water mark and most insurance companies would be belly-up over night.. Plus where the City Hall stands was a swamp..

That may well happen again as the future is always unknown..

Now with why has Brisbane property never boomed ,and Logan is not inside the BCC footprint ..Brisbane is and always has been a market within many different markets and the only example I can give as I can give several..look up a small inner riverfront called West End and track the % gain for the past 20 years --New Farm --the list is endless..

Will Brisbane turn into a City like Amsterdam as I believe climate change is real and therein lies the problem none knows..Much the same as Scott Morrision when at Tourism Australia once said ''Where the bloody hell are you'' until the people Australian's vote in see the light nothing will change..

[​IMG]

Just walk down from this level 75 mts in a peacefull park and line up the levels and random events can and always happen very quickly ,because with water one can dam it pipe it and store but water always find it's own lever no matter what anyone thinks..

Angel likes this.
  19. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

20. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

If Brisbane brings in truffles, coffeeshops, and a red light district I'm all for it.