Immigration reboot?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by petewargent, 12th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Squirrell

Squirrell Well-Known Member

Wages in tech have stagnated for the past 10 years, well i know mine has. As for "shortage", its a relative concept surely. Raise wages and people will come. Train your staff and voila, no shortage.

marty998 likes this.
  2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

We don't want this to turn into a CEO earning too much money discussion........
    I agree with construction wages on certain sites, but many are working on non industrial sites (and actually working physically hard) earning less than half per hour :(

I would happily go fruit picking or work on a farm for a change, but not for $18ph :p

Over the years I've learnt and remembered things, some people call me smart :eek: but I've always worked physically hard and now my body is failing me :(, I've earnt far far less than my desk jocky friends who don't have lumber or cervical damage causing constant pain :confused:, I wish I was academic and actively encourage the kids to educate rather than be like me :rolleyes:

We don't need immigration to prop up or boost growth, we need to work smarter :cool:

Icarus and Squirrell like this.
  3. Squirrell

Like why dont we import craploads of dentists, they are crazy expensive. Sure plenty from thailand that could do most jobs. Maybe its because big business doesnt pay for dentists so there is no lobby incentive unlike tech jobs

marty998 and spoon like this.
  4. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Basically the AMA are a pretty powerful and influential union that pretends to advocate for medical outcomes but actually fights to ensure its members are in a state of perpetual shortage (of varying degrees).

Just like the HIA only cares about its builder members and not the industry as a whole or even about the clients of its members, the AMA only cares about protecting the interests of medical professionals, even at the expense of the public if need be

5. Hari Yellina

Hari Yellina Well-Known Member

Horticulture has labour shortages.

6. CryptoClown

CryptoClown Well-Known Member

Before Covid round 1 they were taking some to regional hubs throughout SA, NSW and VIC. Some of the regional towns are at .2% vacancy rate so housing them will be a massive issue.

7. Squirrell

Yes, always seems crazy that med school requires prohibitively high vce marks, but our hospital medicos seem to all be from oseas.

8. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

The problem in Australia now (And probably other Western Countries ) is the increasing level of regulation, compliance requirements and Other govt over reach. You need to jump through too many hoops to even run a chook raffle. We are becoming very anti small business here. Property prices in Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra in particular are so high that it’s no longer conducive to good quality of life.
    While Australia puts itself in line with globalist policies I think real wage levels will suffer.
    As a nation we don’t seem to look forward enough into the future. When was the last time we built a new dam or power station for our growing population?

9. Squirrell

Thats too hard. Just lower interest rates instead.

10. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Immigration has been a hot topic of discussion even before covid.
    Everyone agrees we need productivity gains, probably led by innovation, just how to achieve that is the question.
    Some say open the gates to foreign skilled, some say develop what you already have..
    The answer will likely be somewhere in the middle.
    No easy solutions to this.
    From a high level political view, it won't be the effect on property prices they will be concerned about, it will be more the reliance on other countries for standard of living that we enjoy and the degree of influence wielded by Australia on that...

Last edited: 13th Oct, 2021
    craigc likes this.
  11. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

From the Dentists i know from SE-Asia and India over the past 30 years most hit the wall when they find out the drama with the Dental assessment process ,as it's costly and i only know 2 that ended up being able to apply for registration with the ''DBA''..
    Most end up working in Dental sales or other jobs within the Dental..
    Dentist assessments | Australian Dental Council

Squirrell likes this.