Immigrant pop growth

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by JDP1, 25th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

This was always going to happen. Most of the big centres of this world have seen similar.

‘They’re being forced to leave’
    The title of this article link is obviously sensationalised and untrue..no one is forcing anyone...but anyway,the title link above does help to make sales and is catchy, so the journos have done their job.
    Melbourne is probably not far behind in this trend.

Loverenting likes this.
  2. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

High immigration levels are generally always good news for the property sector.
    But what happens when it stops or really slows down.
    The other questions is what are the reasons why 18,000 people are leaving Sydney, will these numbers change if immigration slows right down, or are they leaving for other reasons.

3. radson

radson Well-Known Member

The Sydney exodus is not a new thing..Been happening for quite some time? I'm sure Wargent has a blog article on this somewhere?

4. radson

radson Well-Known Member

5. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

Locals have been leaving Sydney since the ABS started recording population data 40+ years ago. Nothing has changed. It's a crap place to live like most capital cities around the world and people go there for jobs and the allure of money not for quality of life. What kind of quality of life can you have while being crammed into an apartment and spending 2-3 hours every working day of your life in unpaid transit - all to get just enough money to pay for the ridiculously expensive cost of living - and still having to sacrifice far beyond that for any chance of a better life.

If immigration slows down then it is not only the housing sector that will take a hit, the whole economy will suffer in a major way. The reason for high immigration is to pay for all the spoiled baby boomers who think they are entitled to get free money in the form of a pension and now the government can not afford it, so they bring in skilled immigrants to work and pay taxes that go to the govt. Less immigration would mean less money for the government at the same time as a self-entitled ageing population expecting their free money. I can see a possibility of some twit in the the power not understanding this and tightening immigration, but how do you think that will affect the economy? You can not have your cake and eat it too. Immigration continues to pay for spoiled self-entitled Australians or your taxes are raised significantly. Money does not come from a magic money tree out in the backyard.

bhojapudur, Cia, icic and 8 others like this.
  6. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Sydney is not a crap place to live.
    Spoiled ignorants like you who haven't seen the world that dont appreciate what they have say that.
    Sad mate.

icic, Konn and radson like this.
  7. petewargent

petewargent Buyer's Agent

Thanks, Radson!

Looking back to 1990- and 2003- we can probably expect that there will probably be a MUCH greater outflow from Sydney over the next few years.

If SEQ can create the jobs, I'd expect a huge chunk to head there: Caloundra, Greater Brisbane, Gold Coast etc.

Regional NSW could also capture a fair number.

My views only, not advice, blah blah.

radson likes this.
  8. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Sydney can afford it. I heard on the radio that the Sydney population has grown by 100K in the past 12 months. 30K of that was the difference between births and deaths.
    I think everyone is going to feel a lot better if that 18K take their family and friends with them.

I also heard that there is an entire (newly arrived) immigrant community considering moving here to Wagga, which I think is an excellent idea. There is already a fantastic community here of a similar ilk. The Wagga community has been very generous, especially with volunteers and community groups.
    It's a happy combination. Everything is here and the lifestyle is great. Apparently, Wagga has a lot of unfilled work positions.
    (OK just read the article; says the same).

Toon, EN710 and petewargent like this.
  9. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Yeah Sydney is crap.

Who needs world class beaches flanking a major metropolis, great dining options, tons of things to do on the weekend, good schools, beautiful vistas, weather most would die for, millions being spent on infrastructure or living in a city MOST foreigners say is one of the most beautiful cities they've visited?

The cost of living is the ONLY reason Sydney's population is experiencing domestic emigration.

BTW am on holiday in Phuket at the moment and local Thai food here doesn't hold a candle to Thai food in Sydney. Kids all miss home after 2 weeks, much to my ire.

Last edited: 25th Apr, 2018
    icic, John_S, qak and 1 other person like this.
  10. petewargent

petewargent Buyer's Agent

Sydney in summary:

Natural increase +34,994
    Net internal migration -18,120
    Net overseas migration +84,684

Total FY2017 +101,558 (all-time high)

& here it is in a picture...

upload_2018-4-25_19-18-23.png

radson and WattleIdo like this.
  11. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

The last thing Sydney needs is a change of federal government that might think that its a good idea to cut immigration so the general workforce might ??? get a pay-rise.
    Although the states and local councils might agree , as they are the ones that have to pay for all the extra infrastructure.
    Perth is a classic example of what happens when high immigration levels comes to a dead stop.
    To many empty rental properties.

12. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

It is because either you went to the wrong restaurant in Phuket or you only like the Australian style Thai food, not the truly authentic one. It is like some Aussies say Pho (Vietnamese beef noodle soup) in Melbourne is better than in Hanoi which is funny.

Toon likes this.
  13. radson

radson Well-Known Member

a resources boom is over and the Eastern staters and Kiwi slink back home :)

14. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Yeah you go from high immigration to low immigration in a short space of time , while the building industry keeps on building apartments, houses etc for people that have stopped arriving.
    It takes them about 12-18 months to slow down.
    By that time you have lots of brand new builds sitting empty, they drop their rents and tenants suddenly realize they can move into a brand new apartment for cheaper than they are paying in their crappy 20 year old apartment/house.
    The rental market goes into freefall, made even worse if the banks tighten then lending procedures at the same time.
    But that will never happen.

15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Re Sydney being crap, I've been privileged to travel all over the world many times over, living in many countries around the world and I gotta say, none come close to Sydney for me. Play in other countries but live? I wont be leaving Sydney.

icic, Observer and EN710 like this.
  16. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Well I've hit up at least 6 restaurants and ordered Pad Thai which is as basic to a Thai as anything. Still not better or comparable to most restaurants vack home...too heavy on the sauce. I could be unlucky.

17. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

Heavy on the sauce, it is the key words here. Thai and Vietnamese like fish sauce (not all but a lot). That's why their dishes can be heavy sauced. But in Australia, it needs to change to suit Aussies, less sauce, less spicy, more meat, bigger portion, etc. I have a lot of Aussie friends who simply cannot cope with the smell of true and strong fish sauce as well as shrimp paste, dry squid, etc.

18. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

The growth figures are going to add to the upward pressure of housing prices for sure.

Sydney, Melb and Brisbane I honestly believe will do just fine in the next 10 years in property and out of those 3 Brisbane has the biggest room to grow. If jobs/economy continue to rise in Brisbane as its currently nicely doing + the interstate migrations its only good things to come for property investors in the 3 major east coast cities.

And yes I agree with numerous posters above. I've travelled the world and seen and stayed in many countries europe, asia and americas. Sydney, Melb and Brisbane would still be my choice to live each and every time.

You dont know how good we have it and how privileged we are.

If I wanted to play and party? Well there are other places for that. :) - but to live there is no better place than Australia.

icic and Observer like this.
  19. JB40

JB40 Well-Known Member

I know certain posters crack it at the mere suggestion that Sydney is not the greatest city in the world but as a life long resident I know its not for many. Its certainly better than a lot of other cities of course, especially those where a lot of current migrants hail from but it has some serious issues that are only getting worse.

Not all posters are ignorant of the world as is always suggested when this comes up and have actually travelled a lot and know that there are some truly wonderful cities that can offer more than Sydney.

This is especially true if you don't care about the beach (not that Sydney beaches are great, they are better outside of Sydney). Sydney weather may also suit some but personally I now find it too hot and dry and its getting worse. As for food, it always surprises me that many Sydney people rave about the restaurants. So many are very average and some like to claim they're better than in the restaurants native country, its rarely the case, most have been "aussied up" for local tastes and while there is nothing wrong with that, this claim usually says to me that the person making it is not well travelled even if they say they are.

I'm sure if you're relatively well off with a good job, live in your own nice home close to work and enjoy a certain type of life style you feel Sydney is perfect but that is not the majority. For a lot of people Sydney is not the CBD, East, North Shore or Northern or southern Beaches. The things that apparently make Sydney are enjoyed by only a percentage of residents. Doesn't mean others can't be happy too but it also means they can enjoy the same or a better lifestyle somewhere else. Maybe in another Australian state or maybe another country.

With the way Sydney is heading there will be more people leaving because they can't afford the city and its too clogged and poorly serviced to provide a decent lifestyle. Unless you already own something decent you won't be able to buy in and enjoy what makes Sydney different to other cities. The benefits many move here for. Luckily that's still a while off but if the right decisions are not made today then it may be sooner than anticipated.

TAJ, Toon and Angel like this.
  20. DrunkSailor

DrunkSailor Well-Known Member

What about all those crappy suburbs though like Werribee, punchbowl, sunshine, footscray? Over valued. I think in the downturn you’ll see which people invested in the right areas and which people got swept up in the buzz and just bought whatever was trending. That’s what boom and bust cycles are for. Everyone is a winner during the boom but only the smart investors survive the bust.